~*~ 13 ~*~

~*~ 13 ~*~

"You'll only try to give me at least one answer?"

"I promise I will do the very best that I can." He was watching me intently. I wasn't mollified but could tell that he was being sincere. "Better one thing than nothing I guess."

His eyes seemed to reach into mine in that peculiar way he had of searching for answers that I didn't know the questions to. My anger somehow deflated while under his penetrating gaze. There was such a longing in his look.

"You promise?" I asked quietly, somewhat mollified by his change of demeanor.

"Yes, if you promise to let me call your dad afterwards."

I nodded "Okay, I'll play. Question number one for the answer please—"

He looked pained, setting his cell phone down once again.

"Why do I feel like I've known you forever," I took a deep breath. Better to get the most important answer even if it meant giving up information I didn't really want to. "Even when I sleep you're there, in my dreams. I know there is something between you and I. What?"

He spoke softly but determinedly. "Not that question Rowan." If I could divulge the one thing I had wanted to keep secret, he could be fair and answer it!

Quickly raising my hands up in frustration. "Then what question would be acceptable to you Bryce?"

Picking up his cell phone he began passing it back and forth between his two hands. "You've been having dreams?" It was as if that word had suddenly registered with him. "What have your dreams been of?" He looked worried setting his cell phone down on the arm of the couch again.

I noticed his fidgeting. "Uh huh, no way. You have to answer my question first. A deal is a deal!"

Spreading his hands open he looked helpless "I can't Rowan! And what I am asking is important. Vitally important."

"See? Again, more secrets. What makes your questions more important," I snapped "more vital —-than mine? You made a deal."

"I said I would try."

"That's lame Bryce, not to mention totally unfair. Try harder! It's just one question!"

Just then Bettina and Archer came back in the room as if on cue from Bryce.

I groaned audibly.

Archer grinned at Bryce. "You having fun yet brother of mine? About time trouble came looking for you rather than the other way around!"

Archer was his brother? Surprised I looked from one to the other more than a bit stunned but I wasn't going to be sidetracked.

I looked back at him, glaring at him now. "Well Bryce? My answer please. You said you would!" I hoped that the other two coming in the room would take my side, forcing him to answer.

Bryce shook his head.

Archer chuckled. "I don't think you're going to get away with that anymore Bryce!"

Bettina, his beautiful girlfriend came to sit beside him on the arm of the couch moving the phone to the table. Her arm touching his, she was looking from Bryce to me and back to Bryce again.

That green eyed monster rose in me. I sighed. I didn't think I could handle standing here, watching those lovebirds while I struggled to find some understanding in my life.

"Look Bryce, just give me my answer and I will leave you and your girlfriend alone okay? I'll leave for one answer. This is not my fault. I was brought here by him." I looked at Archer for emphasis and then did a double take. Archer was doubling over, his hand covering his mouth, trying unsuccessfully to hold back his laughter. He started to snort!