~*~ 17 ~*~

~*~ 17 ~*~

How could I tell her when I didn't remember anything myself, only the feeling that everything had been solved. But until I could remember what was solved and how, nothing was solved.

"You promise right?" she prodded her voice cutting into my convoluted thoughts.

"Yes! I promise."

"Okay, later-gator."

"Ta-Ta" Folding my phone shut I was left alone with my thoughts. Laying back on my bed dangling the hearts above me I felt giddy. Bryce was mine! Something about it felt so right, so real, so important. Here it was two weeks before Christmas and I'd gotten the best Christmas present ever. Bryce!

My phone rang softly beside me, a number I didn't recognize but I knew who it was before I even opened it.

"Bryce!"

"Hello my love."

My heart began racing.

"I just wanted to make sure you were home safely."

"You already knew! Don't pretend with me!" I sat up suddenly pushing my hair from my face, holding the phone away from my ear stunned. "Um—" Where had that thought come from?

"Rowan?"

I looked out on the night darkened window trying to understand where that thought had come from. Why had I said that?

"Rowan?" his voice was soft and questioning. I put the phone back to my ear.

"What is the matter?" he sounded concerned.

"Nothing, I felt like— I don't know, like I almost remembered something."

"Remembered what?" His voice sounded guarded.

There was a tone that I picked up on. What was he expecting?

"Don't get mad Rowan." He spoke softly, guessing at what I was thinking. "I'm not keeping anything from you."

"Then what is going on Bryce?"

"What are you remembering?" He pressed gently.

I sighed. It was becoming obvious to me now that Bryce was waiting for me to remember something. Why couldn't he just tell me what it was that he wanted me to remember? "It's just little things, not things really that I can even clearly remember. It's only certain words that I say or hear that triggers something else, but nothing is clear."

"Rowan, I am going to tell you something you will not understand at this moment but you have to trust me."

Trust, another word I remembered as if distantly through a dark mind-numbing fog.

"Rowan?"

"I'm here." I pressed my fingers to my temple and closed my eyes.

"You have to be very careful now. If you remember things, do not speak them out loud. Come talk to me, or at least to one of us. Your—" he whispered "things just depend on it that's all."

"What do you mean?"

"Rowan, we are talking on cell phones. You do not even know who is around you right now."

"Yes I do, no one. There is no one here with me! What on earth are you talking about?"

"Rowan—" he didn't want to do this but too much was on the line now. "I don't want to do this again."

"You make no sense whatsoever Bryce!" I was definitely frustrated, becoming more ticked off with each moment we spent on the phone. Why couldn't we talk without getting into an argument? Why couldn't he just talk to me?