~*~ 14 ~*~

~*~ 14 ~*~

When Bettina had him out of earshot she looked at him searchingly. "There are risks here Bryce."

"Like I don't know that!" he hissed back at her "It's precisely the reason I don't want to tell her anything."

"She'll find out on her own. I wasn't kidding. Every human soul comes into their life with a soul-purpose"

"I know that" he interrupted running a hand through his hair extremely irritated. "Would you just get to the point Tina?"

"How do you know what hers is? Maybe she came back to be with you? Did you think of that? Soul recognition transcends everything."

"I know that too Tina." His irritation was growing.

"My point is— the choice is not up to you, what she should know, or what she should not know Grayson Bryce Evans." Her use of his full name told him she was getting perturbed.

"Would you just think about it? Rowan's soul-purpose, if she finds out on her own, could have some serious ramifications. Think about the attack made on her at the bonfire. And there have been other times recently. Zale is very determined. If you hadn't stopped her by hitting her car she could be—" she looked up and then back at him. "No. You could be putting her at even greater risk! You can't keep her in the dark anymore. Give her a chance." She looked at him imploringly. "Grayson Bryce, she is walking around absolutely blind right now. And worse! If you tell her only of the two of you, and not of her birthright as well, you could be altering what her soul-purpose was in coming here in the first place" she whispered gently. "Maybe it wasn't—- just you."

Bryce's eyes flashed storm gray and amber fire.

"She needs to know everything. If you don't tell her, what price will come with that? Her death? She's too close to everything right now, without having any answers at all. You have a responsibility" she poked his chest "to protect her. Not telling her is putting her at risk."

She softened her tone. "And you know that."

"I'll be putting her in danger!"

"She'll be in worse danger if you do not." Pursing her lips and exhaling softly, she let the silence grow. Patting his arm she nodded smiling. "You'll do the right thing I know you will. You'll find a way. If there was anyone alive of us or of them, anyone at all who could figure this out, I would lay all my bets on you. Hands down my little brother. You'll figure it out."

Turning she left, leaving him a moment to think alone.

Archer looked up seeing Bettina come back in the room. I stood up looking at her questioningly when I didn't see Bryce. She held up one finger stopping me. "He'll be here in a minute." her voice was soothing and lyrical.

Closing my mouth I looked from one to the other struggling to remain quiet. I hadn't even had time to form a question when Bryce returned.

Bettina seeing my expression turned and saw him. Standing up and turning to leave, she lay a hand upon my arm. "Go easy on him Rowan. He has always— ever, only done what was best for you and the cost has been higher than he will ever let on. No one is disputing your feelings in this, just—" she looked up at the ceiling a moment then back at me. "Go easy on him okay? And understand, that with the truth comes a cost. Make sure you are able to bear it Rowan. It may be more than you are willing to pay."

I had no idea what she meant. I was more confused now than before, if that were even possible.

Patting my arm soothingly she murmured, "It will be all right, but I'll call your dad right now. If he wants to talk to you I'll bring you the phone right away okay?"