~*~ 16 ~*~

~*~ 16 ~*~

I stared at him as his last words sank into my mind. "You're kidding!" Shaking my head in utter disbelief, anger rising "you're joking right?"

He shook his head looking sorrowful.

"You mean you went to all this trouble to tell me, and knew I won't remember? You took me here knowing that? You knew I wouldn't remember!" Clenching my hands I felt the hearts bite into my palm. "That's so unfair of you and so very wrong!"

"I took you here because it was the safest place to tell you of things that I cannot have overheard. It was the only place I could think of that you would be safe and we could freely talk."

"You took me here, told me and now I won't remember?" I was incredulous and getting angrier. "This is so messed up!" I burst out.

"You may recall a lot through what is called dream-slips. In your dreams, but" he shrugged helplessly "we have now. This moment. I'm so sorry Rowan. It was the best I could do." He looked so sad. "You may be able to remember, it's not certain. It is all I can do right now. I wanted to answer your questions" he looked at me with soul wrenching pain in his eyes. "But I didn't want the price for it to be your life!"

"Why did you even tell me that I wouldn't remember, why not just take me home and then you could have just left." I was grasping after hearing everything he had said how dangerous this was, but I was still having a hard time getting a hold of my temper.

He flinched at my words. "Because I think at some point, if not now, then surely later, you are going to remember. I want, no I need to be honest with you, in every way that I can without causing more harm. This is very serious Rowan and I do not want to lose you again. Honesty and trust are going to be paramount, your life could depend on it. And that burning need to know the answers will be gone at least. There will be a haziness, a feeling of knowing but not knowing."

"Oh and that makes it all better doesn't it?" I sighed. His words carried a warning that told me I would have to accept this, not like it, but accept it. I looked up again, at the incredible sky.

Standing up, he held out his hand to me.

One hand clutching the gift he'd made me, with the other I let him pull me up.

"This isn't fair!" I tried protesting once more.

"Perhaps that is so." he concurred "But remember what Tina said, there is a price to pay."

"I didn't know it would be my mind being erased!"

He rubbed my hand tenderly in his speaking softly. "Rowan, your mind isn't going to be erased. It will still be there. I've given you the key to remembering. You have to trust me now." he touched the pair of hearts in my hand. "You'll figure it out."

I didn't want to trust a possibility. "How do you know I'll figure it out?"

"Because my heart, my love, my soul," he touched my heart and then his own, "I know you."

I wished I had that much confidence.

"Trust me." his voice was husky. He was looking down at me as if he wanted to say something else.

Looking up at him standing before me, he seemed taller than I remembered, maybe in his angel form he was taller? After what he had just told me I couldn't think straight.

He leaned in closer to me his eyes piercing into mine so earnest and intent, I felt myself falter, as if I was no longer standing on solid ground, perhaps I wasn't.

His lips grazed my forehead softly.

I was disappointed. I yearned for more. What was wrong with me? It felt like I was on an emotional roller coaster rising up steeply and then plunging breathtakingly down.