20: Riot at the Red Bean

Start from the beginning

FENDER: (clearly beat up and woozy) "Stop - "

OSCAR: "Are you okay? Well - I mean - you clearly aren't okay - but... are you... dying? Is that - Fuck. Sorry. That was a bad question. Uh. Sorry, I'm bad at this. I don't know what to do. Do you need to go to the hospital? I can take you there - "

FENDER: "No hospital... please."

OSCAR: "Is it just your face?"

FENDER: (he swallows his own blood and tries repositioning his jaw in preparation to talk) "They tried..."

OSCAR: "They tried what?"

FENDER: (he scrunches up his eyes at the memory; his voice is all weak and scratchy) "Cutting off..."

(Oscar looks down and sees a blood stain by Fender's crotch)

OSCAR: "No way - what - No, Fender - Did they - "

FENDER: (shakes head slowly) "Just cut my pelvis."

OSCAR: "Thank God. I mean - no - I'm not thanking him that you're hurt - just that you still have... your little friend." (cringes at his own words) "Why are you wet?"

FENDER: "Bucket of water..."

[Enter Basil]

BASIL: "Oscar?"

OSCAR: "I'm back here."

BASIL: "Lord Jesus - is that Fender?" (wheels herself into the alleyway; clearly panting) "Where's Ronny?"

OSCAR: "They left. Can we - can you - I need to take him somewhere - "

BASIL: "Calm down. Put him on my lap."

OSCAR: "But - "

BASIL: "My legs are numb and paralyzed, Oscar, I wouldn't be able to feel him on me even if he was unbearably heavy. This kid is 135 pounds, tops."

(Oscar helps Fender to his feet; as soon as Fender stands he passes out; he's positioned to lie across Basil's lap; Oscar starts pushing Basil's wheelchair down the street as fast as he can)

...

[His House, The Suburbs, 9:38 PM, Straight Sex?]

BASIL: "My dad's coming to pick me up in three minutes."

OSCAR: "You can sleep over if you want."

BASIL: "Nah, I need to take my meds. Text me how it goes, okay?"

OSCAR: (opening the front door to let her out) "Thanks, Basil. For everything. Literally. Everything."

BASIL: (proud smile) "I'll watch you cry and carry your beat-up friend in my wheelchair across town any night, Oscar. Any night."

[His room, His House, 9:42 PM, Painful Sex?]

(Oscar closes the door to his bedroom as softly as possible)

OSCAR: (whispering) "Fender?"

FENDER: (Fender sits up in the bed and squints; he's obviously confused) "..."

OSCAR: (observing Fender's state in the lamplight) "I think... you need... a shower..."

FENDER: (voice weak) "Am I at your house?"

OSCAR: "Yeah. This in comparison to your house is probably supremely anti-climactic. Come on."

[His ensuite, His House, 9:44 PM, Bathroom Sex?]