17: The Igor Effect

Chapter 17: The Igor Effect

[Hallways, Atenamal Regional High, 8:59 AM , I]

BOY #1: "Dude, did you see that video last night?"

BOY #2: "I only watched half of it. I deleted it. I feel like the cops are gonna trace my IP, or something."

BOY #1: "Watching it wasn't illegal, was it?"

BOY #2: "Man, wake up. It's child pornography. If everyone at school got it, we were all in possession of child pornography at one point. Most of us still are."

[Across the Hallways, Atenamal Regional High, 9:00 AM, Suck]

GIRL #1: "But the first video that was leaked was of Fender raping Emma. Now this one is of Ronny forcing Fender and Emma to have sex?"

BOY #3: "Well, this one's longer. I guess the last one was just edited to make it look bad."

BOY #4: "I don't know. This whole thing looks sketchy to me. Don't you realize that this is a systematic bombardment?"

GIRL #1: "But the Indefinite Pronouns aren't behind this leak. No one claimed responsibility for the video. I bet, someone tried to frame Fender, and Fender got hold of the full version and leaked it himself."

BOY #3: "That's stupid."

BOY #4: "Do you still have the video on your phones?"

GIRL #1: "Yeah. Wanna see it again?"

BOY #4: "Jesus, no. Delete that shit now. If it's in your photo gallery, it's a crime."

...

[Mr Goering's office, Atenamal Regional High, 9:05 AM, At]

MR GOERING: (leaning back in his chair) "Is this another one of your demonstrations, Oscar?"

OSCAR: "Why isn't Fender here?"

MR GOERING: "I'm not in a happy mood right now. Be straight with me, here, okay? If you're honest with me now, it'll save your ass down the line."

OSCAR: "It wasn't my idea. But after I heard it, I liked what I heard."

MR GOERING: "So you like the idea of invading the privacy of the student body's phones and exposing two young students' bodies and sexual activity?"

OSCAR: "Their bodies were already exposed, Goering! Or did you forget about that little mass hack that happened a few weeks ago? The only difference now is that it's the full video, which means it shows the truth of the matter. Fender. Didn't. Rape. Emma."

MR GOERING: "That definitely is not the only difference, Oscar. The difference between the first cyber attack and this one is that the videos were saved to students' phones last night. Most of them still have the video. In America, that's called child pornography."

OSCAR: "If that's child pornography, then the first cyber attack was child pornography and a frame-up. In this case two negatives don't equal a positive, Goering."

MR GOERING: (running his hands up and down his face in distress) "Just help me out here, Oscar. Throw me a bone. We've got two students who's naked bodies are plastered across the phone screens of five hundred kids."

OSCAR: "Why do you sound so surprised? Kids send nudes all the time."

MR GOERING: (knocking the table) "This was a systematic release of disturbing visuals to five hundred students, most of them minors. The first time this happened, we didn't know who was behind it. Now, we do. I'm supposed to do something about this, Oscar."