7.

a/n: quick and simple discretion is advised: there will be flashbacks throughout this entire book as you can probably already tell, but they will be spread out and ongoing because it's so much information! just a head's up ❤️️

**finn's pov**

My long legs bend carefully as I lean down, tip-toeing into the dark kitchen to look for something to eat, trying to remain quiet due to the late time and since everyone in my house was probably fast asleep.

I can only see condiments, cases of soda, and food that wasn't very quick to eat, nothing that I could just peel the top off of and eat it easily with a spoon or fork, as I decide to just not eat anything at all.

The television screen allowed gleaming light to cascade over the entire living room, as I peer my head in through the doorway, only to see my father knocked out cold on his recliner, the footrest up and everything.

"That's when the family members heard the devastating verdict, that they all knew would change their lives forever." The low voice coming from the t.v dramatically narrated in a very eye-opening way, catching my attention, as I fully walk into the room to get a better listen.

"As to the charge of first-degree murder, we the jury find the defendant not guilty. As to the charge of manslaughter in the second degree, we the jury find the defendant not guilty." The verdict was read in the case of a middle-aged man killing his younger sister's boyfriend.

I take a seat on the couch to continue watching, my dad remaining completely tranquil, as I lift the remote control off of the coffee table in front of me to turn the volume up just a couple of notches. The camera's view of the courtroom looked familiar, as I remember the dreadful day in court that happened a couple of months ago that none of us like to talk about.

It makes Millie uncomfortable to talk about it with anyone aside from me, and vice versa.

(three months earlier)

I'd unintentionally held my breath the entire time while the courtroom flooded in with random people, as I then spot Sadie, Maddie, and Gaten all arriving inside together. Beside Noah and Caleb and a row behind all of our parents, I stand up out of my seat, waving my arm to get their attention.

They notice me and come rushing over to reserve their seats in the same row as us, looks of unspoken uncertainty plastered on all of our faces. "Is she back there?" Sadie asks softly, sitting down in the seat next to Caleb, asking all of us in reference to the room they hold people in who are preparing to stand trial, as we all nod in unison, our stomachs queasy with worry.

Millie is still extremely shaken up, and even though I know how tough she really can be, I'm just scared that she's going to crack to crack under pressure actually seeing the person responsible for inflicting the majority of Millie's issues onto her again in real life since everything.

Alana's probably back there, too.

My stomach churns at the thought of seeing her again, as Noah leans his hand against my shoulder with support, representing just as much worry as I had, making me feel a little better.

"She'll be fine. There's no way they aren't gonna see who's at fault for all of this shit." He advises wisely, as I exhale a nervous breath out, forcing myself to believe his words one hundred percent.

Moments later, Millie is silently escorted out of the room that we were addressing earlier by two policemen, as she sits down at the stand, making immediate eye-contact with me, fear in her eyes that tore my heart into a thousand pieces.

I try my hardest to give her a pleading facial expression to let her know she'd be okay, as she seems receptive to my message, taking deep breaths in and out.