twenty-seven

December

Finn watched as snowflakes fell lazily around him, gripping tightly onto the cup in his mittened hands. Its contents provided more warmth than his soaked-through socks or his puffy jacket did so he tried to absorb as much of the heat as possible.

Because of the job Finn had recently acquired at the local dog shelter, it hadn't been easy to fit together his and Millie's busy schedules. They had found some sort of rhythm after the third raincheck, but it still wasn't enough time with one another to satisfy the couple. That's why, when the first days of winter break rolled around, they were practically glued to each other.

Their friends didn't really mind how attached they were. The entire group had gotten used to writing their names down as FinnandMillie and would worry if one of them was without the other with little explanation. They were a packaged deal nowadays, and you had to work with what you got.

Finn smiled slightly at the view in front of him and blinked away the stray snowflakes that weaved themselves into his eyelashes. The view, of course, was Millie. She was gliding gracefully across the frozen lake that they had spent so much of the year at, eyes closed and arms opened wide. 

Her mouth was agape only to let out a quiet laugh, but one that rippled through Finn's body nonetheless. Millie had always had that effect; leaving a trace of herself wherever she was and making positive that you felt her at all times. Finn peacefully admired how her hair flung around as she spun. It was pulled back into two horribly done braids (thanks to Finn's expertise) and splayed out above her chest. She had been letting it grow as long as possible because she wanted the moment that she chopped it all off again to be as satisfying as possible.

"Finnie! Come skate!" the girl yelled out to him. Finn's smile grew wider, yet meeker, as he didn't want to embarrass himself and end up with his face pushed into the ice. His love for her excitement got the best of him, though, and he quickly laced his skates up.

Stepping onto the ice for the first time in ages made him feel as if he was a newborn dear, stretching out his limbs and figuring out how to use them.

"You look so stupid right now, babe," Millie teased. He stuck his tongue out mockingly, finally making his way closer to the girl.

"Lemme hold your waist, I'm sure that I'm gonna fall over if I don't,"

Millie raised an eyebrow, looking at him with a watchful eye, "This feels like a strange trick to get me to kiss you."

Finn scoffed. "What? Why would I, Finn Wolfhard, a noble gentleman, do such a thing?"

She punched him lightly in the arm, making him pitch forward and start to loose balance. Now he really did have to clutch onto her for dear life, the fabric of her sweater serving as a life preserver as he bobbed up and down.  Finn shot her a death glare as Millie pulled him up from the ground completely, brushing his hands off onto his jeans.

"I barely even touched you! You're the one with balance problems!" She said, arms thrown up in defense. Suddenly, one of her arms was being tugged down and she had fallen onto the ice.

"You're such a fucking dick!" Millie squealed. Finn smiled mischievously as he skated away easily. Turns out that a season on the hockey team could do more than just provide a new hatred for the sport.