sixteen

Millie sat in the sunroom with Finn, holding a cup of tea out to him. His voice was scratchy as he described his new plan for the summer, accepting the mug graciously. The girl listened carefully, nodding along to his gentle words. Her eyes lit up when he suggested that he continue to study photography throughout the break.

"That is a fabulous idea!" she exclaimed, clapping her hands together. Finn grinned, pulling her into a close hug.

"You can get some more modeling practice then, peach," he hummed into her ear. She turned his face toward hers, glancing into his eyes. They reflected the white clouds that floated through the sky outside, lifting her off the ground and blowing her along with the breeze.

"You know I'm sorry for what I did, right?" she asked quietly, holding his jaw in her hand. Finn pulled her face closer to his, looking between her eyes and lips eagerly.

"Of course," he whispered, pushing a strand of her dark locks away from her face and behind her ear.

Millie brushed her forehead against his, advancing her lips closer to Finn's.

"I never took a break from loving you, peach," he spoke, leaning his face forward until the gap between them was almost nonexistent.

"Neither did I," she purred, her heart beating loudly in her ears.

As soon as the words came out of her mouth, Finn closed the distance between them, pressing his lips gently against hers. They fit together perfectly, almost as if they had discovered the final piece of the puzzle. She moved slowly and sweetly, challenging the average pace Finn would take. He tried his best to match her actions, new to the slower, passionate way that she kissed with. Their noses bumped together, causing both of them to giggle against one another's lips.

She read his mouth like a map, finding the backroads and monuments he hid within the city he created. Millie craved so badly to drive to that town, to travel across the hills and flower fields she felt.

The flavor of Millie's chapstick stirred the butterflies in his stomach once again, even after he was certain they had flown away. His mind swam back to the first day he met her, unable to comprehend how oblivious he had been all of those days before.

They were soaring, flying farther and farther away with each jutted chin and red cheek.

When the kiss broke, they sat in each other's arms, gasping for breath.

"Lesson number eight," Millie said gently against his shoulder, "don't get caught up in the mistakes you've made, learn from them,"

Finn laughed, vibrations from his throat catching against Millie's heart.

***

Gaten led Noah, Sadie, and Caleb quietly into the Brown household, waving at Millie's father who sat at the kitchen table.

Mr. Brown mouthed her location, chuckling, and the group began padding across the floor in her direction.

"What are we doing?" Noah whisper-yelled at his older friends, almost tripping on his shoelaces.

Gaten threw a hand up in his direction, silencing the beginning of his interrogation. The red-head shrugged, gesturing toward her best friend who stood in front of them. Caleb released Sadie's hand, pulling out a letter and shaking it around a little before letting his arm drop back down to his side.

"Oohhh," Noah stage-whispered, gaining a death glare from Gaten. "Don't make a sound!" he hissed, turning his attention back to the bright room they were heading into.

***

"Millster!" the clan yelled, causing Millie and Finn to jump in unison. She held her head, climbing off of the couch and over to her friends.

"Jesus fuck, guys," she exclaimed, distributing hugs to all four.

"I missed you, Mills," Noah told her, squeezing tightly around her torso. Millie nuzzled her face into his flannel, breathing in the familiar scent of her favorite person. When everyone had given and received their fair share of embraces, the group gathered in a circle on the carpeted floor.

Caleb cleared his throat loudly, gaining the attention of all the teenagers. They stared at him expectantly, focusing intently as he launched into a monologue explaining the purpose for their visit.

"So, as many–or all–of you know," he began, speaking in his closest attempt at a British accent. Millie laughed to herself, wondering if he was trying to mimic her own. "Miss. Millie Bobby Brown entered a video of herself exquisitely playing the cello into a competition,"

Gaten and Sadie created a chorus of varying "ooos" and "ahs" at this, nudging their elbows against one another's. Caleb shot a look at the redhead, making her calm down and return her gaze to the boy that sat in front of them all.

"Inside of this envelope," he continued, pulling the paper out from behind his back, "lay the results of said competition... Can I get a drumroll, please?"

Finn beat his hands against the floor with intense emotion, adding dynamic swells and tempo changes unintentionally. Caleb handed the envelope to Millie dramatically, bowing after she took it from his grip. She glanced around the circle, holding the paper between her fingertips.

Hesitantly, she slid the letter out of the casing and threw it to Noah.

"You read it," she mumbled, closing her eyes.
Noah shrugged and unfolded the paper carefully, ironing out the creases with the back of his hand.

He took a deep breath, then began to read the contents of the letter aloud.

"Miss. Brown, we are pleased to inform you that your outstanding performance in the 2017 Ceghart Competition has landed you in..." he paused, looking around at his friends. They all held hands, closing their eyes and praying to whatever god was listening that she placed well.

"First place!" Noah screeched. The six teenagers erupted into cheers, Millie nearly crying. She ripped the paper from the small boys hands, reading what was typed to make sure he wasn't joking.

"How much did you win?" Gaten asked, rubbing his palms together greedily. She smiled, reading further down on the page. When her eyes hit the grand prize, everyone in the room swore they saw her pupils triple in size.

"$1500!" she screamed, jaw dropped. The group matched her enthusiasm, jumping in a circle around her. She joined in on the fun, grabbing Finn's hand and spinning around.

***

Finn and Millie sat on the grass in Millie's backyard, watching as the vermillion sun turned into a silvery moon. The girl laid back, feeling as the grass tickled her spine. With a single hand reached up to the sky, her fingertips brushed against the brightening stars and felt each change of color painted within the clouds.

Finn concentrated on the cliffs and soft peaks of Millie's face, admiring her beauty in the indigo light. He took her hand in his, tracing gentle circles against her knuckles. Her face broke open, revealing the brightest grin Finn had ever laid eyes on. It's warming rays took the edge off of the night chill, wrapping the couple up in a woolen blanket made especially for them.

She turned her face toward him, resting her tulip-stained cheek against the soil. Giggling, she opened her mouth and spoke four words that Finn never would've imagined.

"We're going to California,"

***
author's note

only a few more chapters left!!
(don't worry, everything will be explained soon!!!!)
thanks for all of the support throughout this story, i love you all sooooo much!!!

don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT FEEDBACK!

thank you so so incredibly much for reading!
-paige

{EDIT 5/25/2018: THIS IS JUST FORMAT BUT THEY STILL AREN'T DATING HAAAA}