seven

Finn stared at his bedroom ceiling, playing with the hem of his shirt. The sun was slowly rising against the gloomy horizon, casting obscure shadows across the walls. He hadn't slept very much that night, his mind producing more thoughts than he could keep up with. 

Late Saturday night, after Finn had brought Millie home, he couldn't get her out of his head.

All Finn could imagine was the millions of ways he could easily mess this up. It made his stomach drop and his heartache to even think about her with someone else, even though nothing had happened between them yet. He knew it was a bad idea to bring Millie into his life, he knew that she would only end up getting hurt, but he was unable to unlatch himself from her. She was like a magnet, always pulling Finn back. 

Finn's thoughts were interrupted when a loud noise rang from his phone, breaking the perfect silence that rested over the room like a warm blanket. He groaned, lifting the phone up and answering the persistent caller.

"What do you need, Millie?" he asked in an annoyed tone. As much as he liked this girl, Finn didn't need her having any idea that he was excited that she called him at 5:46 AM. He could almost feel her smiling on the phone, a small giggle escaping her lips. 

"You're taking me to school," Millie announced.Her voice was not lacking any sweetness despite the early hour. 

Finn rolled his eyes, brushing a hand against the wall in an attempt to find the light switch. When he finally grasped it, he flicked on the light and began climbing out of bed.

"And who is it that dictated this agreement?" he questioned, sighing. Finn poked his head into the bathroom and glanced at himself in the mirror. He reached for a comb to tame the mess of curls on his head but decided better of it. He turned off the bathroom light and walked back into his bedroom, listening to Millie babble on about some explanation he didn't really care for. 

"I'm guessing that I won't be getting out of this?" he asked. It seemed as though the only things Finn said around her lately were questions, but neither of them took notice until now.

"Nope, I'll see you here in.. hmm... fifteen minutes," she decided, saying a quick goodbye, and then hanging up. Finn inhaled deeply, taken aback by her surprising amount of energy. He threw on a pair of black jeans and a grey sweatshirt, slung his bag over his shoulder and raced down to the kitchen, taking the steps two at a time.

Nick was already downstairs, quietly eating an apple in the darkness.
Finn jumped at the sight of him, not expecting to see his brother awake at such an early hour. He walked over to him slowly and then reached for the apple in Nick's hand. Nick tried to grab it back, but Finn was already jogging out the door.

"Bye! Thanks for the apple!" he called out behind him, taking a large bite. Nick responded by flipping him off, grabbing another apple from the bowl and watching his younger sibling hurry toward his bike.

Finn raised the kickstand on his bike with his heel, pedaling quickly down the street in the direction of Millie's house. He smiled at the wind whipping against his skin, remembering what Millie had taught him about happiness. 

"The little things," he repeated to himself, pushing further down the road.

***

Millie tapped her foot on the pavement impatiently, turning her wrist up and checking the time. She listened for the sound of bike wheels on the concrete but could only pick out the birds cawing softly above.

Millie sat down on a wooden porch step, resting her elbows on another. A faint but vivid ringing came from in the distance, which Millie immediately knew was the bell on a certain olive green bicycle.

"You're late, Wolfhard," she said, climbing behind him onto the bike. He rolled his eyes, wrapping her arms around him and beginning to bike to the school. 

"By literally two minutes, calm yourself," he snapped back, glancing over his shoulder at the girl clinging to his body.

Her eyes reflected the sunrise, revealing the colors that made up the warm brown orbs. The hickory was laced with an addicting shade of green, which intertwined the gold that overtook any onlooker.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer," the smaller figure whispered into his ear. Finn smiled slightly, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink, and turned back to face the road. 

***

When the pair arrived in front of the high school, Millie spotted Noah and Gaten sitting underneath their usual meeting spot. They looked annoyed, glancing around to try and find Millie's iconic glittery headband. Finn gestured for her to go catch up with the two boys, staying behind to lock the bike up.

He placed his hands in the pockets of his leather jacket, recognizing that it still clung to Millie's fragrance. He smiled, watching as Millie ran toward her friends giddily. As much as he wanted to follow her, he knew he had some unfinished business to attend to in the east wing. 

***

"Mills, there you are!" Noah called out when he noticed her approaching them. "What took you so long, ya noob," Gaten exclaimed, puffing out a large breath. 

"Finn brought me," she simply responded, dragging her friends up from the ground and proceeding to their first class. She threw a glance over her shoulder, hoping to see the dark-haired boy again before the end of the day. Millie frowned, seeing that he has already walked elsewhere. 

Noah nudged Millie in the ribs with his elbow, gaining her attention.
"Yeah, Schnipper?" 

"You two are cute," he answered, leaving Millie confused.

"Who?" 

"I mean you and Finn, you guys are cute together,"  Millie turned to face him, punching his arm lightly.

"We aren't a thing!" she insisted, turning around to run into her classroom before being interrogated further.

Gaten pushed up next to the shorter boy, sharing the same view of a frantic Millie. "They're totally a thing," he said calmly, directing Noah back to the way they needed to go.  

authors note:well, I'm trying to have some chapters with conflict as much as there is fluff, so kinda prepare yourself for Finn's friendship troubles I guess, even though I suck at writing conflict stuff.sorry if this sounds rushed, i wanted to have a longer chapter for you guys and didn't really know what to write, plus i didn't want to make you wait anymore lmao.also, i saw pup on Wednesday.it was a fantastic concert, 10/10 would recommend. 

ok that's all, see you next update!!

don't forget to vote and comment feedback!! 

love youuuuu thank you for readingg

-paige

{3/3/2018: little revisions made, ignore this update! thank you!}