eight

A girl with crimson hair and piercing blue eyes to match slowly paced across the courtyard. She awaited the arrival of her best friend, Finn, who was supposed to have met her there fifteen minutes prior. She convinced herself that he was just running late and that there was nothing to worry about, though she still had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach about the approaching conversation. This was an important friendship to her, but with how things were going lately, she wasn't sure how much longer it would last. Her head flicked up when she heard the sound of rushed footsteps, her eyes searching for the source. 

"Sadie," a masculine voice called out, turning the corner. She identified the deep tone as Finn. "Sorry I'm late, I brought Millie to school today," he explained.

Sadie glanced down again, picking at her finger. "You guys are friends now?" she questioned. He simply nodded and she returned the gesture. Finn sat down on a bench, beckoning for her to join. She smiled warmly at him, taking a seat.

 "So," Sadie began, studying his expression intently. He looked tired, but happier, his bright eyes balancing with the darkness underneath them. "Caleb told me what happened," 

Finn scoffed, crossing his arms and leaning his back further against the wood.

 "He's incredibly sorry, Finn" she continued softly. Sadie knew she wouldn't change his mind, but she wanted to at least try and solve what had happened. She missed when she could walk to Finn's house with Caleb and just watch a movie. She longed for the days when they were the same as every other high schooler, afraid and alone without each other. She hated being the cause of that fear in so many.

"You don't understand what he did, Sadie," Finn argued, offended by her statement. "He insulted someone that is extremely important to me, and that's unforgivable in my mind,"
He looked down at his sneakers, playing with the laces and sighing loudly.

"Trust me, I don't want to lose either of you, you're my family," he breathed out.
Sadie grabbed his hand, forcing his eyes to meet hers. His face felt hot, a mixture of anger and sadness rushing through his veins. 

"But I want to hear an apology directly from him if he's so sorry about what he did," Finn finished, shaking his head slightly.

Sadie nodded in agreement, placing his hand down again and gathering her belongings.  She didn't want to talk this deeply for much longer, as she knew the stress it would cause in Finn. "This girl must be pretty special, huh? If she can have such an effect on you, I mean," she asked in an attempt to lighten the mood. He chuckled, pushing his bag up on his shoulder.

"She sure is something, alright," Finn spoke, smiling into his words as they exchanged their goodbyes.

***

The sun shone down across Millie's face, her skin glimmering under the warm light. She quietly ripped apart the petals of a daisy, watching the clouds fumble across the sky. Gaten, Finn, and Noah all stood around a digital camera, mesmerized by its complexity. 

The minute that school released, Finn gathered the quartet together at the park. He eagerly informed the others on his newly acquired hobby while pulling out a black camera. Finn explained that he had always admired the idea of becoming a photographer, and Millie's lesson about passion was what inspired him to pursue his dream.

And there they sat, two hours later, still attempting to figure out the various settings and buttons that littered the equipment. Millie didn't really care for the electronic aspect, but she loved that the boys were all bonding with each other. 

"Mills!" Finn exclaimed. She propped herself up on her elbows and glanced at the curly haired boy. He smiled giddily at her, the camera now sitting beside him on a blanket. 

"Lemme take a picture of you," he coaxed, pointing towards the contraption and wiggling his eyebrows. "No way," She groaned, falling back again. He pushed his lip out, begging her to give him permission without uttering a word. "I look horrible, Finnie," Millie whined, watching him closely as he shuffled over to her.

"Untrue," Finn argued. 
"Very true,"
"Nope,"
"Yup,"
"Don't make me tickle you!"
"Is that a threat?"
"Definitely,"

Before Millie could protest, Finn lunged at her sides. She curled up on the grass and began rolling around, laughing uncontrollably against the taller boy's touch. He continued tickling her, determined to make her model for him. 

While the two adolescents battled, Gaten and Noah watched intently. 

"Not a thing my ass," Gaten whispered. Noah shoved his arm lightly with his own, chuckling and turning the page of his book. Gaten abruptly lifted up from the ground and began walking toward the couple, grabbing the camera in the process. 

"Are you gonna take a picture of her or not, Finnlard?" Gaten huffed, pushing the camera into his chest.

"I don't know, am I going to, Millie?" Finn asked, raising his eyebrows at the lone girl. She exhaled deeply and rolled her eyes. "Fine," 

The two boys jumped around, cheering, while Noah and Millie exchanged a glance. "Ok, Wolfhard, let's get this over with," she complained. 

He grabbed the camera fully from Gaten and followed Millie closely down the path.

*** 

Finn directed Millie toward a spot that received plenty of light and positioned her in front of the greenery. She was a natural born model, lips parted and eyes wide. He snapped a few pictures as she changed her poses, pausing to glance at the product before continuing. Finn was extremely good, though he would never admit it himself. He took a few more photos before Millie had used all of the actions she could think of.  Finn began walking the path again, still scrolling through the photographs and examining what he could improve. Once he had analyzed almost every photo, Finn handed the camera to Millie.

She took her time while looking at the pictures. The amount of emotion that Finn was capable of capturing in an abundance of pixels was insane, the feelings almost bursting out of the screen. Millie glanced up at Finn, disbelief lacing her eyes. 

He scratched the back of his neck nervously and smiled crookedly. "What do you think?" he asked. She didn't respond, just enveloped him in a warm embrace. Finn's body stiffened at the unfamiliar contact but soon softened into her arms. 

"Lesson number four," she began, her words muffled by his sweatshirt, "Feeling,"

***

authors note:
long time no update, am i right??
sorry about how absent I've been on here lately, there's just been a lot of things going on for me.
I'm hoping to start writing these a lot faster and more at once so i don't have to make you guys wait like i have been.
don't forget to vote and comment!!
love you guys!!!
-paige
p.s: thank you so much for nearly 600 views??? what the heck??? i don't deserve this???? i love you!!!!!!

{3/3/2018: format revisions made! ignore this update!}