nineteen

authors note real quick before we start: I'm super sorry for my absence. like so sorry that I can't even put my sorriness into words. also, fun fact, I wrote this whole thing at a science fair :) just thought that would be a fun thing to know. ok, go read!!!

A small choir of birds sang a peaceful song for the morning, waking Millie from her slumber.

She lay amongst a collection of pillows and blankets, the heat quickly becoming uncomfortable after the temperature of the room hit her skin. If it weren't for the warmth, Millie could have easily forgotten that she was in California.

The birds continued to practice their vocals as she awoke from her sleep, her eyelids fluttering open once she realized the importance of her tasks for the day again.

It was early morning. Not so early that it was unbearable to be awake, but early enough that it wasn't exactly comfortable. The sky wasn't purely navy anymore, the dark color running into a warm shade provided by the increasing amount of sunlight.

Millie peeked her head out from under her bed covers, squinting her eyes at the golden light beginning to stream in through the window curtains. Finn lay beside her, his chest rising and falling in a steady pattern. She chuckled to herself, as her father had made sure that there were two rooms in the house before allowing them to stay there. He was slightly overprotective, but Millie knew that it was for her own good.

Slowly, the girl slid herself off of the bed. Her feet touched the cold ground lightly as she gazed out the window.

Today was the day that she met with the California Institute of the Arts about accepting Finn back into the program.

She brushed a strand of brown hair off of her forehead and shuffled toward the bathroom to get ready.

***

Millie stepped out of the small house, pushing a tired Finn back inside.

"Let me have my alone time, Finnie," she whined as he began to trail behind her. He pouted, pink lips glistening in the daylight.

"C'mon, Peaches, just let me tag along," he offered. Millie rolled her eyes and began arguing the fact that she was capable of walking through a small city alone. He grunted, grabbing both of her hands as she began walking away again.

Finn pulled her closer to him, his strength overwhelming her attempt to wiggle out of his grip. She gave in when she saw the look in his eyes, so gentle and caring. He just wanted her to be safe.

With one smooth gesture, Finn spun her around and attached his arms around her waist. His height passed hers an incredible amount, yet he still was able to watch her from below. Dark brown eyes hid behind long eyelashes as he gazed at Millie, awestruck by her beauty. She had opted from straightening her hair, the locks falling in lazy ringlets down to her shoulders.

"Call me if anything happens," he requested, placing his chin on top of her curls. "Promise me,"

Millie nodded, pulling her arms around his neck. "I promise,"

Finn pecked her cheek gently, removing his embrace and shooing her off. She smiled widely at him before running down the sidewalk.

If only he knew

***

The building was large, a sign sweeping across the front, the school's name written in stone. Millie took a deep breath as she approached the office's doors, smoothing out the front of her skirt.