twelve

TWO WEEKS LATER - THREE DAYS BEFORE FINN LEAVES

Millie glanced at Finn who sat quietly in a leather chair. He was reading a book, legs propped up on a small table across from the fireplace. She sniffled, crying for a reason she didn't know. She watched as Finn slowly lifted himself from the chair and walked towards her. He cupped her face gently, pushing a piece of hair behind her ear.

"What's going on in that beautiful mind of yours, peaches?" he asked in a hushed voice, brushing her tears away with his fingers. "You're gonna leave me," she choked out.

He inhaled sharply, dropping his hand from her face and grabbing her hand tightly instead. "I'll be gone for three months, sweets, and then I'll be with you every day again," he soothed, playing with her fingers.

"If you really cared about me, you would've decided to stay here," she argued, looking away. Finn released her hand, laying his arms by his side and nodding.

"We've talked about this, peach, you said that you wanted what was best for me,"

"Well, maybe I thought that I was best for you,"
Finn scoffed, crossing his arms and beginning to pace. "Millie, I'm being offered a place in a highly competitive program, you can't just expect me to decline that," he huffed, exasperated. She was angry, but she knew she shouldn't be.

"What happened to when we decided we would always come first?" she yelled at him.

"What happened to when you said I should always do what made me happy, huh?" he challenged, red-faced and breathing hard. "What happened to passion, Millie, what happened to my opinion?"
She folded her arms, pulling at the skin on her forearm. maybe if I pinch myself hard enough, I'll wake up from this nightmare.

"Of course I want you to be happy, Finn, but this is my happiness on the line here too!" she screamed, much louder than she expected. Finn flinched. He hated when they argued.

"I thought you would be happy for me," he wailed, not understanding why she was so upset.

"I don't know how I feel anymore," she forced out, refusing to make eye contact. She felt like she was being pushed aside. Millie knew that this was his dream and that this was a big deal, but she was so afraid that he would find someone better in California. Someone who deserved him

"If you go, don't call me," Millie whispered. Finn stared at her, astonishment staining his appearance. His eyes searched her face desperately, looking for the joke written in the corners of her mouth. Finn swam through her dark eyes, his toes clenching the coarse sand as he tried to find the bright sun above the rough waves.  He couldn't comprehend how self-centered she was being. This was what they had always dreamed about for each other, pure happiness, and now that Finn was finally reaching it, Millie didn't want him to feel any of it.

"I'm going, Millie," Finn cried out, "no matter what, but I don't want to lose you in the process,"
Millie re-connected her gaze with his, an uneasy feeling settling in the pit of her stomach.

"I think you've already lost me," she murmured.

"What? Are you crazy?" he yelled, raising his arms.

"Get out," she breathed, closing her eyes.
Finn blinked hard, feeling tears pour down his cheeks. "Millie..." he started, but was cut off by her loud voice.

"Get. Out," she growled at him, immediately regretting the demand. She was so afraid that things would get worse as the situation continued, so she decided to end it before it could. Finn was bawling at this point, never having felt this broken before. When she uttered the words a second time, his heart dropped. A whirlwind of emotions overtook him, anger appearing above the rest. He stormed toward the maroon-painted wood, grasping the door handle. Millie tugged on his wrist, pulling him away from the exit. Finn spun around, ripping his hand from her grip.

"Don't fucking touch me," he spat in her face, "this is what you wanted, isn't it?" His tone contained a new harshness that Millie wasn't familiar with. This wasn't like Finn, it wasn't the boy she had fallen in love with.

"Maybe I fell in love with the wrong boy," she muttered to herself.

"Yeah, maybe you did," Finn responded, half of his body out of the door. He didn't want to admit that her saying that she loved him made his heart flutter, not at this moment. She was ruining a perfect thing. Millie glanced up at him through tear-filled eyes.

"Do you have anything to say for yourself?" Finn questioned roughly. She opened her mouth to speak, to apologize, to say anything, really, but nothing came out. Only strangled syllables passed by the lump in her throat, threatening to open the flood gates in her eyes.

"That's what I thought," Finn said weakly, tears tainting his rosy cheeks. "When you figure out if you love me authentically, you know where to find me," he exclaimed, slamming the heavy door behind him. Millie watched through the window as he cooly walked to his bike and then began pedaling frantically down the street.

She fell to the floor, sliding down the empty wall. She hugged her knees to her chest, sobbing quietly into them. Millie hit her head with the palm of her hand, running it down her face. She felt so selfish. All she ever wanted for Finn was happiness, and she could only focus on herself. Tears fell more violently down her face and she pulled at her hair, feeling like even more of an idiot as the seconds bore on. She already felt lost without Finn and his star-smeared cheeks.

***

Millie sat on her bed, picking at her fingers in her lap. She glanced at the lonely-looking black case which sat in the corner of the room, nibbling on her lip.

She stood and slowly shuffled over to the object she had once run to. Her fingers gingerly unlatched the protective layer, gliding down to feel the dark wood. She closed her sore eyes and breathed in the strong scent of rosin.

Music had once aided her through her darkest moments, but now she was unsure if it would accept her again. The tips of her fingers gently removed the instrument and bow from the case, lifting them over to the wooden ctaint that sat next to her bed. She pulled out a piece of music, laying it on her stand.

It was the piece she had played for Finn.

She felt a tear run down her cheek, missing his fragile voice and touch. Millie knew that this was all her fault, but she didn't want to cause any more drama between them before he left for the summer.

A soft breeze from through the window blew away her troubled thoughts, leaving her with only one thing on her mind, music.

***
AUTHORS NOTE:
sorry!
actually, no I'm not :)
i really loved writing this so hopefully you guys don't hate it!!
the ending was a little strange, but i wanted to have millie reconnect with her music really quickly so, here's this i guess.
thank you so much for reading!
don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT FEEDBACK!
i love you guys a lot!!!
-paige
{edit: sorry had to make a few revisions because i realized that i included a part in two chapters. new part will be up at some point later in the week, i just can't really think. (btw if you want to help me with ideas that would be amazing, pm me!!)}

{EDIT 5/25/2018: MORE EDITS SO THEY AREN'T DATING YET SORRYYYY}