twenty-nine

June

"You just graduated."

Finn smirked and glanced at Millie who sat in the passenger's seat beside him.

"Great observation, you could get into Stanford with that intelligence, " he snarked. She rolled her eyes and played with the fingers entwined in hers. His mother had insisted that he drove rather than biked to his ceremony despite a long argument about it. He claimed that he was just trying to "save the earth" but Millie knew he just felt an uneasiness on the road in such a large piece of machinery. She couldn't blame him for feeling that way, as she had the same thoughts whenever she drove.

"I know what you mean, though. It's crazy to wrap my head around too." He returned his hand back onto the steering wheel and tapped his fingers on the leather material. The radio hummed softly and he shot her a look when he caught the lyrics of the song playing. "Turn this up, would 'ya?"

Millie rolled her eyes again but obliged, twisting the black knob on the radio system.

The Moment by Tame Impala soon poured out of the speakers and coated the car interior in a sticky sweet sound.

It was the song that had played when they shared their first kiss.

"You are such a dork," she scoffed.

"You love it."

"Whatever," Millie said, turning back to face Finn. "When are you leaving for California?"

Finn lifted their hands and pressed a kiss to her knuckles, chuckling, "One step at a time, Peach,"

Millie knew she was being impatient and kind of needy, but she didn't care that much. She wanted to know how much time she had left to savor with him, before their inevitable end. He was going to move away, and she would be stuck in high school for one more year. The guidance counselor at school had been incredibly proud of Millie's early application to Berklee, though, saying that she had high hopes for what was to come. Her words didn't calm the short girl down, rather made her more uneasy. If she was accepted, her life would already be planned out and she would have nothing to focus on for the grueling ten months before her release into adulthood.

Ten months to think about him and all of his new Californian girlfriends with blonde hair and crop tops. She wouldn't even have Sadie with her during the school year to gossip with; she had graduated only hours prior. Millie loved Gaten and Noah more than anyone else in the world (Finn already knew that he came second best), but there was something different about her and Sadie's friendship. It was refreshing to have an actual girl to talk to, not just two guys who would use high-pitched voices when Millie wanted to talk girl drama.

Could she easily find more friends? Probably, but she didn't have any interest in it. The girls leftover at school were all surface-level, and she would rather punch herself in the face multiple times than interact with them for more than a couple of minutes.

Caleb had graduated that afternoon as well, looking dapper in a cherry-red suit and bowtie. Millie hadn't been able to get incredibly close to him because of their setback at the beginning of her and Finn's relationship, but she would miss him nonetheless. Sometimes he would swing onto the couch while Sadie and Millie were watching Drag Race and would mimic their catwalks, trying his hardest to death drop.

It was a lot to take in, graduation. All of her friends being thrust into new lives, forcing the baby birds to fly on their own. Truthfully, Millie was scared for them. Sadie always gushed about the new journalism course she would be taking at NYU and how excited she was to decorate her dorm room, but Millie was afraid that the redhead would get the opposite of what she was wishing for. The last thing she wanted was for any of her friends to suffer through their new realities, but it was still a possibility.