fourteen

Millie stared at the sky intently through her open window for the third day in a row, the sound of pouring rain filling her ears. She spent most of her time in front of the window, studying the habits of the nature that surrounded. Today's weather reflected her mood greatly, dark rumbling skies and fat teardrops falling through the atmosphere. It was like any common thunderstorm during the summer, one that washed away the heat and gave relief to those being suffocated by the sun, but the raindrops fell differently on Millie's skin this time.

Her fingers caught each droplet delicately, the beautifully formed spheres bursting and the water spilling down her palm. She chuckled as it tickled her hand, pulling her arm back into the dark room.
The girl imagined that she was a raindrop, falling sluggishly toward the ground. Her heart would pull her closer to the earth, the weight of her wrong-doing acting as a magnet.

She was overflowing with remorse and shame over what she had done and wished more than anything else to take it all back.

"Lesson number seven," she told the rain, "just because you love something doesn't mean you have to let it go,"

***

It was later now, half past midnight, and Millie had been awoken from a deep sleep by the sound of banging on her front door. She padded quietly down the stairs, pulling her sweater closer to her body and grabbing a knife from the kitchen. The golden-eyed girl gingerly stepped nearer to the door and put an eye up to the peep-hole.

Behind the heavy wood stood Finn, on her porch, carrying a bouquet of flowers. Relieved that there wasn't an intruder, she set the knife down on a nearby table and ran to unlatch the door.

He looked surprised to see her swing open the entrance, eyes widening at her appearance.
Millie's face was stained with tears, dark crevices prominent underneath her eyes. Her hair was pulled up messily, obviously slept on, and she wore a sad smile. She looked so oddly beautiful, it took Finn's breath away.

The couple stood there, staring at each other awkwardly for several minutes before Finn cleared his throat.

"Hey, peach, I just stopped by to tell you that I love you," he slurred, extending the flowers out to her. As his body grew closer, Millie recognized the stench of alcohol, and the smile on her face wiped away. She pushed the flowers back, rejecting his drunken gift, and rolled her eyes at him. "You're drunk, Wolfhard,"

She glanced at the yard behind them but didn't see his bike, a car sitting in its place. The same girl she had seen him with multiple times sat closest to the house, giggling at something another boy in the car had said.

"No, peaches, I'm in love," he remarked, flashing a toothy grin. She fought the urge to hug him, to bring him inside and care for him, knowing that she would regret it in the morning.

But, god, it was hard to not crash her lips into his when he smiled like that.

"You know what... Fuck it," she whispered, pulling him inside.

***

"Here, drink this," Millie said timidly, handing Finn a glass of water. He fumbled with it, his senses still impaired from the alcohol consumption, but finally began chugging the beverage. She put a hand up, telling him to slow down. He complied to the command, taking in gulps of the liquid at a healthier pace than before.

"Okay, spill it, why are you here," Millie pressed once the boy had finished his drink.

"We stopped talking two days ago," he said, stifling a giggle. She shrugged, not understanding the joke.

He stared at her lovingly, playing with her fingers just as he used to. "but we shouldn't have, obviously," Finn sang, jumping off of the barstool. "we clearly love each other too much to not be with one another, and you definitely seem sorry about what you did," She nodded, watching as the boy she loved hopped around the room.

"Tell your dad I like this picture of him," he said, now distracted from what he was originally saying. He was an idiot for coming here, for trying to fix what she had ruined, but she loved him for it.

"Finn, sweetie, I really am sorry," Millie told him. Finn hummed, spinning back around to face her. "I know you won't remember this in the morning, or you'll think it was a mistake, but thank you for coming here," she gushed. He smiled at her and put his arms out, making grabby hands at her.

Millie smiled shyly as she slumped against his chest, feeling it rise and fall.

She still didn't know what was happening or why he was here, but she knew that she didn't want to let this moment go.

"You should come with me to California," Finn blurted out as he held her. Millie broke off the hug, grabbing his shoulders.

"You're drunk, Finnie, you can't make these decisions now," she said as she rubbed her hands up and down his arms. He frowned, looking like a toddler that was refused candy, and pulled away from her touch.

The intoxicated boy ripped through her kitchen drawers, finding a pad of paper and a pen. He scribbled something across the note, shoving it into her hands when he was satisfied with the phrase.

"Call me before six tomorrow night -if you decide to come- and say this," he explained, gesturing toward the paper. Millie nodded, folding it up and holding it tightly in her palm as she watched Finn bound toward the door.

She followed him closely, ready to assist if he wobbled during his trek.

As he stepped out of the house once again, Finn turned around and smiled at Millie, nibbling on his bottom lip. He wasn't thinking straight, his mind fuzzy from the alcohol, but he knew one thing for certain.

"I love you, peachy," he said bashfully, picking up the flowers from the floorboards and handing them to Millie in a final attempt. The shorter girl accepted the flowers, holding them close to her body.

"I love you too, Wolfhard," she muttered as he began walking back to the car he arrived in. "Too damn much..."

***

AUTHORS NOTE:

not sure how i like this ending but we needed some fluff so here ya go.

i was reading through the first few chapters of this earlier and they make no sense with what I'm doing with the story now but i'll edit those later, just disregard them for now :)

also i was too lazy to describe the dumb shit finn did before he went to millie's so like come up with your own explanation if you want

thank you SO SO SO much for reading!!!

i love you!!!

don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT FEEDBACK!

thanks again,

-paige

{EDIT 5/25/2018: FORMAT/CONTENT EDITS, STILL ARENT DATING!!}