{17} Kareem

Popcorn.

Blinking slowly, the first thing my heavy eyes focused on was on the popcorn ceiling above me.

My mind groggy, I couldn't help but frown at the outdated style before yawning once. My plans to rub my eye were forgotten about when I felt a discomforting tug on my hand. I glanced down at it, and with a start realized I was attached to an IV.

My mind snapped awake, taking in the unfamiliar room around me. It was regular as they came, with wood paneling along the walls, a dresser, and a small nightstand beside my bed. What caught my attention was the love chair hastily tucked away in the corner of the room- recently slept on, based on the thrown pillows and creases of the blanket on top of the chair.

A sad smile crept on my face, the similar scene making me recall to one of the many times I'd wake up to find my mom sleeping in a similar position.

Though I knew with a heavy heart, she wasn't here.

With a grimace, I slowly pulled out the IV attached to me and rubbed the back of my hand. My eyes trailed around the small room again, a note on the nightstand catching my eye. Sluggishly gripping the sheets by my sides, I sat up and reached for it.

"Bathroom by your left. Freshen up, and I'll see you soon. -K"

One shaky breath later, I got up and headed into the bathroom. Standing on the cold tiles, I squeezed my eyes tightly as another shallow breath escaped me; my mind bombarding itself with flashes of what happened.

Of what I did.

Then, I felt her.

My beast stirred in reaction to my sudden unease and my eyes shot open, my palm over my accelerating heart rate. In an effort to calm down, I pushed down the memories and focused on my breathing.

The memories, the thought that I wasn't sore at all, the thought that I could feel the presence within me completely, that I wasn't normal - everything, everything I pushed away.

In,

out.

In,

out.

When my heartbeat finally slowed down, I realized my bag was in the bathroom. Grabbing a towel from a rack and some necessities, a while later I was out of the hot shower and changed into a fresh pair of dark sweats and a black tee.

I had decided to put my faith in Kane. Not only did it seem like he intended to help me, it seemed like he had answers to whatever was happening. More specifically...answers to what I was.

It's not exactly like I had many options available otherwise.

Clenching and unclenching my fists, I finally left the bedroom. It seemed like I was in some sort of cabin. Directly outside the bedroom was a small hallway with two other doors, and a set of stairs. Slowly, I descended them with my eyes darting about.

It was one open floor. A comfortable looking living room with mismatched couches, colorful pillows, and a small tv set up attached to kitchen with brown wooden cabinets and equally colorful appliances. He was lounging on one of the couches, putting down his book on the coffee table beside him at the sound of my steps.

My beast immediately rose to attention when my eyes caught in contact with his, and started to pace as he got up to face me. I swallowed and crossed my arms, watching him and unsure of what to do.

He studied me for a moment, looking me over head to toe before the corners of his mouth turned up, "I'm not here to harm you." He slowly took a step forward with his hands up at his sides, palms facing me. "Your beast can recognize that," he murmured with a relaxed posture.