Chapter 29

For whatever insane reason, I turned around to face him. I wait for him to say something, but all he does is run his hand through his wavy cropped hair. I sigh, getting his attention, making him walk from behind the counter and in my direction. He stops about four feet away and pulls out a piece of paper from his pocket. 

He holds it out and waits for me to close the distance between us to retrieve it. I take a few small steps, just close enough to grab it. I unfold the sheet of paper to reveal a letter address to me.

"Wait.."

When I look up he continues, "Don't read it yet. Just...I'm sorry."

I nod and stare at his green eyes for a few moments. His eyes looked so vulnerable, something that I hadn't really gotten a chance to see much of. He's pretty much unreadable, especially at school where he has a big presence on campus.

The bell rings startling us both and he uncomfortably smiles at me before heading back into the mail room. I let out a shaky breath as I shove the note into my bag. 

I make my way to class and take my seat as the first one in the room. I pull my tardy slip out and place it on the teacher's desk before being bombarded by a familiar squeal of excitement. 

"Girl," she says dropping her stuff at the desk next to mine. 

"Where the hell have you been?" 

"Oh, doctor's appointment."

"You're not sick are you," she asks covering her mouth.

"No," I say smiling.

"Oh thank gawd, you cannot bail on me for Halloween." 

"I won't." 

"Good, because I already picked up our costumes."

"So, what are they?"

"Well, you're going to be a deer and I'm going to be a mermaid."

"That's not very original," I say.

"Well, would you have rather me gotten you a sexy nurse outfit?"

"No! Definitely not."

"That's what I thought," she says pleased. 

Class begins and I reach into my bag to grab a pencil and some paper. I remember the note from Ryder and push it towards the bottom of my bag so it isn't visible.

When class finally lets out, it's already lunchtime. Which is good because I am starving, but also very bad because I don't have any money. 

I tell Becca I'll meet her in the caf and make my way towards my locker. I throw all my textbooks inside and head straight for the bathroom. I enter the stall farthest from the door and lock it behind me. 

With my bag hanging on the hook behind the door, I dig through my bag to pull out the note. I let out a deep breath before unfolding it.

Dear Lyssa,

I'm sorry about the other day. I know that you may think I'm just your typical teenage jock, but I promise there is more to me than that. I really do want to spend time with you, get to know you better. Someone once told me that if you want someone's trust you have to earn it. So, I'm letting you in on a huge secret. 

Come to this address tonight at 8 pm. 

56 W Pike St 

(the guy at the door will have your name and will let you in)

I hope you decide to come. If you don't show, I'll know that this is the end and I'll stop bothering you.

- Ryder