Chapter 14

The reception lasted well into the night. By midnight, the only ones left were Betty, Veronica, Archie and Jughead. They laughed, sipping their beverages of choice.

“What a purely Lodge event this was, V. Thank you for including us.” Betty spoke for her and Jughead. They said their goodbyes as Veronica and Archie poured themselves into the town car to bring themselves back to their home, preparing to leave for their honeymoon the next evening. Betty and Jughead waved them along as they walked aimlessly into the night. Their pace was slow, neither in any hurry to get anywhere. After a while, they stopped to sit on a bench because Betty was beginning to hobble. Wearing high heels for more than twelve hours is not something she was accustomed to. She took them off and stretched her feet. She picked them up in her hand and stood  back up, ready to go again. Jughead was in awe of her. The simplest things she did made him smile involuntarily. “What?” Betty caught him looking at her, smiling.

“Nothing. Do you wanna piggy back ride the rest of the way?” Jughead laughed.

“We don’t even know where we’re going,” Betty laughed. “But, it looks like we’re close to Pop’s. Late night snack?” She saw the glow of neon lights, just up ahead.

“Is that even a question?” Jughead laughed. He took Betty’s hand in his as they continued the short distance to Pop’s. Jughead took off his jacket and flung it over his shoulder on his curled index finger. His tie was loose and he took down the matching purple suspenders. “Glad to see Pop’s keeping this place going,” he said plopping himself into a booth, tossing the jacket in the seat before he sat. The diner was empty. Betty sat across from Jughead, laughing as he continued talking about anything and everything. “So, Miss Betty Cooper. What’s the plan when we get back to reality?” He tucked his fists under his chin.

“Well, I go back to work, and you do what you do best. Which reminds me, I’ve got to book my train ticket back when I wake up tomorrow, return the rental car,” Betty rattled off a list of things she needed to do before she left her childhood home of Riverdale.

“Or. Or. Hear me out,” he started, holding it hands out in front of him. “You mail everything but the essentials back to your place, pack a backpack and we road trip it back. Hop on my bike, and just go. We’ll make it back there eventually. We leave tomorrow. Stop when and where we want, but maybe we take the time to get reacquainted before we jump back into real life.” Jughead knew this idea was far fetched and very unlike Betty Cooper. Betty Cooper was not known for her spontaneity.

“It’s only a five hour drive, Jug.” she laughed.

“Who cares. It’ll be fun. What’s a few more days of fun before going back to deadlines and publishers?” Jughead raised his eyebrows, trying to convince his blonde beauty to give in. Her eyes wandered the diner. They eventually landed back on his face, smiling the biggest, cheesiest grin she’d even seen on him. She fiddled with her hands while she thought it over. She laughed to herself.

“The hell with it. Why not?” Betty agreed. “But, I can’t say I’ve ever been on a motorcycle before.” Jughead was not surprised that she’d never ridden on a bike. He was surprised, however, that she agreed. “Like you said, what’s a few extra days?” Jughead was overjoyed. They discussed the logistics of the move, things they’d have to work out when they got home. The next thing they knew, the sun was beginning to rise. They had been in the diner for hours, both excited to share their lives with the other, filling the other in on what they’d missed in ten years--reconnecting. Pop came around and refilled their coffee mugs. “So, it’s tomorrow. When are we leaving?” Betty said excitedly.

“Now, now, Betty. There is still much to do before before we leave. Patience, my darling. I hear it’s a virtue.” Betty knew all about patience, she was patient for years, and it was finally paying off for her. She giggled at him, shaking her head. “You go do what you need to do, I’ll wrap up some things here, and we’ll ride off into the sunset. How’s that sound? Meet me at the Wyrm when you’re done,” he teased. To Betty Cooper, the plan sounded perfect, even if he was only teasing.