Chapter 13

Betty looked into Jughead’s eyes and sighed. He let go of her face, took his arm from around her waist and took her hand. They walked toward the party in tension. The music was blaring. A DJ was set up at the front of the dance floor under the far tent. Colorful lights and smoke filled the area.

“They have to announce the wedding party!” Veronica added. The DJ faded the music lower. He introduced The Lodges and Andrews families.

“Now introducing the maid of honor and best man, Betty Cooper and Jughead Jones!” Pulsating music played as they danced their way onto the dance floor, his arm draped around her shoulder. They laughed violently, which was very much out of character for them both, but they knew it would make Veronica and Archie laugh. They bobbed up and down to the beat when they got to their place on the floor. “And now, for the first time, Mr. Archie Andrew and Mrs. Veronica Lodge-Andrews! Let me hear you!”

Veronica and Archie had a choreographed dance routine to their entrance. They laughed along the way, finally making it to the dance floor. The music slowed to a more romantic pace. The families, Betty and Jughead moved to the perimeter of the dance floor as Veronica and Archie shared their first dance as husband and wife. His hands were at her waist and she cradled her arms around his neck and shoulders. Half way through the song, Veronica waved the bystanders to join them. Hiram and Hermione Lodge joined, then Fred and Mary Andrews. Jughead looked at Betty.

“May I?” Jughead asked, presenting his hand to Betty.

“Why certainly, Mr. Jones.” She took his hand. Jughead twirled her around, making her giggle. Jughead was not one to dance at weddings, or at all for that matter. His left hand in her right, his other hand on her waist, being careful not to cross any lines they have not experienced or talked about yet. “So, what was that before, Jug?” he blushed.

“What was what?” He said ignorantly.

“Jug,” she said looking up at him, eyebrows raised, head cocked to the side with a smile on her face. Jughead flashed a wry smile, knowing precisely what Betty was referring to. He had no idea what he was doing, but he know he didn’t want to mess it up. She moved her arms to around his neck, laying her head on his chest, her fingers dancing on the back of his neck and into his hairline. He splayed his hand across her back, careful not to venture too low. Betty was smiling. She had not felt this comfortable, or loved, in a long time. She felt at peace. Jughead smiled to himself, as he kissed the top of Betty’s hair, inhaling the intoxicating fragrance of vanilla and strawberry. It wasn’t exactly what he wanted to do, but it was fine enough for that moment. For the first time in many years, Jughead Jones had butterflies in his stomach. The song faded out and into something more upbeat. The pair stayed as they were, neither realizing it had changed for nearly a minute. They both snapped back to reality when Kevin Keller tapped Betty on the shoulder.

“Betty Cooper? This is the last place I thought you'd be.” Kevin exclaimed pulling her in for a hug. They had been close friends throughout high school.

“Welp, here I am.” She huffed, already tired of the assumptions being made of her. She smiled through it, as she always had. Kevin could see the mild aggravation in her face and took that as a cue to leave. Jughead saw the pain in her eyes. He grabbed her hand and led her off the dance floor toward a quieter part of the park. “Jug, where are we going?” They walked a few more yards away and Jughead let out a deep sigh.

“I knew this was going to be difficult for you.”

“No, Jug. I’m fine, really.” Betty insisted.

“Well, you couldn’t see your face when Kevin came up to you. It wasn’t too ladylike.” He laughed. “I know it’s a lot, especially at once.” Jughead continued more seriously.

“I guess-- I thought I could handle it. Turns out, I was wrong.” Betty had admitted defeat.

“Betty, you’re not wrong. You are handling it. Very well, I might add. This is a strange situation for anyone. When someone inevitably asks about our first date, the response is always going to be: ‘Well, we were the wedding party in her ex-fiance’s wedding to her best friend’. So, that’s never going to go away. I’m sure there’s a better way we can word it.” Jughead was rambling. Betty laughed at his apparent nervousness.

“Well, thank you for that vote of confidence,” she smiled. Betty reached up and grabbed his lapels, playing with the hemline of his suit and loosening his tie. Jughead unbuttoned the top button of his dress shirt, airing out his neck. “Better?” she giggled.

“Much better.” He smiled at her. He searched her face, not sure what he was looking for. His eyes caught hers, the green the most vibrant he’d seen. “When do you leave? To go back?” Jughead broke the gaze and looked toward his feet.

“I haven’t really decided yet, probably next week. I’ve gotta go back to work eventually. What’s your plan?” Betty asked nervously. They had spoken briefly about Jughead moving with her, but shook it off, figuring it was too far fetched for him to consider. Betty wasn’t sure she really wanted to know the answer. She slowly dropped her hands from his lapels and turned away from him. She nervously played with the hem of her dress, waiting for Jughead to respond.

“Baltimore seems as good a place as any to finish my next novel,” Jughead breathed. Betty picked her head up and looked over her shoulder. Jughead was walking closer to her. He wrapped her arms around her shoulders. “If that offer is still on the table.” Betty caressed his arms then tapped them, indicating she wanted to move. She turned around, without words, and slid her arms around his torso, underneath his jacket. She listened to his heart race. “So, is that a yes?”

Betty held him at arms length, hands still cupping his waist. She looked up at him, eyes sparkling. His eyes searched her face for any sign of hesitation. There wasn’t one. Not one iota of Betty’s demeanor appeared hesitant to beginning their life together, learning along the way. He placed his hand on her neck, tracing her jawline, scratching the back of her neck. She smiled at the touch. Jughead leaned down and kissed Betty. Their first kiss. It was soft and gentle, just as Betty always thought it would be. He placed his forehead on hers and smiled. She fluttered her eyes open, blushing. Butterflies danced in their stomachs, like they were teenagers all over again.