Chapter 5

The group had agreed to meet at Pop's at eight. At 7:45 Betty walked through the door. She was the first to arrive. She grabbed the usual booth and ordered her usual drink. Ten minutes later, Jughead meandered in, helmet in hand. Betty watched as he made his way to the table to meet her. His hair falling carelessly without his hat on. His blue eyes sparkled, just as she had remembered. She smiled at him half-heartedly. She had hoped Veronica and Archie would be there soon. She hadn't been alone with Jughead in many years, not since their days at the Blue and Gold. Jughead sat down next to Betty, anticipating the arrival of their friends soon. Pop brought over his coffee without him even asking.

"Some things never change," Jughead scoffed as Betty drank her milkshake.

"I could say the same thing. Black coffee," she mocked.

"When you're right, you're right." Jughead laughed.

They both stare at the clock as it clicks to 8:15. It wasn't like Archie and Veronica to be late. Betty's phone vibrates at the same time as Jughead's. 'You're welcome.' Veronica wrote with a heart eyes emoji. 'Get it now?' Archie wrote. It was in that moment that Jughead knew what Archie was talking about earlier at the suit fitting. They look up at each other. "Sorry," they say simultaneously. They both adjust in their seats awkwardly.

"So," Betty broke the eternal awkward silence. "How's the life of a successful author?"

"Oh, you know, it's difficult, but worth it, I guess." Jughead suddenly felt nervous around Betty. He had never looked at her in any other way than Archie's girl. She looked petrified to be alone with him. She clenched her fists tightly. He noticed, for the first time. He shifted in his seat to face her, his back to the rest of the diner.

"What's wrong?" Jughead asked, knowing exactly what was on her mind. She looked up at him, her eyes beginning to well up.

"Nothing. It's stupid." She laughed to herself. I'm going to kill Veronica.

"C'mon, Betty, we've known each other for almost our entire lives." He reached out and took her hands in his. "Whatever it is, I'm sure it isn't stupid." He could feel her hands relax within his. He had never seen perfect Betty Cooper in any way other than Mrs. Archie Andrews. He raised his eyebrows at her, insisting she share what she was feeling. She took a deep breath, fighting back the tears that had welled in her eyes. Jughead lets go of her hand and wipes the rogue tears from her cheek. She looked at him embarrassed, like crying in front of him was the worst thing she could do.

"Uh, would you-- would you wanna go for a walk?" Betty asked feeling the walls close in around her. Jughead didn't respond. He took the last swig of his coffee and got up from the table in one swift motion. Betty smiled, grabbed her bag and followed suit. Jughead held the door open for her as they left, giving a wave to Pop Tate as the door closed. "I'm sorry, Jug."

"What on earth could you be sorry for? I haven't seen you in ten years, until this month." Jughead looked at Betty, who had her attention focused in front of her. They didn't know where they were walking to, but Betty was beginning to feel less anxious. "What's going on, Betty? You used to be able to tell me anything."

Jughead began feeling nostalgic for the life he had left behind. Late nights at the diner, core four outings to the drive-in. All of the bad that happened in his life didn't matter because he had the support of his best friends. He left that behind when he left Riverdale. He had forgotten what it was like to have a real connection with someone, anyone until he came home. He thought life on the road would suit him just fine. He spent years finishing his novel, finally deciding to publish it. He didn't think the story of Jason Blossom's murder would have taken off like it did, but the serge of true crime fans was astounding. The next thing he knew, he was in a whirlwind of tours, signings, conventions--there was an apparent need for Forsythe P. Jones III. He had never felt more alone than the nights he spent travelling. He was never in one place long enough to make new friends, never stayed put for longer than a night or two. After a while, he realized, it wasn't the life he wanted anymore. Archie's wedding invitation was the perfect excuse to come home.