Chapter 11

It was the day before The Lodge-Andrews wedding. The four friends were busy with last minute preparations. Picken’s Park was being transformed for the event. People were everywhere, constructing pillars, hanging tulle and floral arrangements. The four friends stood back to watch in amazement as the park was transformed before their eyes.

“So,” Veronica clapped her hands together in amazement, turning to look at her friends. “Tomorrow is the wedding. Betty and I have some things to do before then, so boys, we will see you tomorrow?” Veronica took Betty’s arm in the crook of her elbow. She smiled and led her away toward the parking lot, leaving the boys behind.

“Betty wait,” Jughead called after them. “Veronica, can you give us a minute?” Jughead raised his eyebrows. Veronica walked toward Archie for a final kiss as an engaged couple. Jughead took Betty’s hand and walked a few yards away from the others. “So, I had a question for you.” He used his empty hand to rub the back of his neck nervously. Betty looked up at him, wide eyed, but confused. “So, the wedding is tomorrow,” he started. “I’m sure it isn’t going to be easy for you, so, I was thinking, maybe you wanted to be my date. I know we’re obviously both gonna be there, but I just thought it might help.” His feet were angled in. He felt like a small child again. Betty smiled up at him.

“Jughead Jones, are you asking me out?” She teased. He smiled.

“I just thought--” he began.

“I would love to be your date. I thought you’d never ask.” Betty nuzzled her head into his chest, feeling his heartbeat pound against his ribcage.

I could get used to this , they thought simultaneously. Betty hoisted herself to her tiptoes and kissed Jughead on the cheek. He could feel his face turning red. He wasn’t sure if he’d ever get used to someone genuinely caring about him. She frolicked away, entangling her arm with Veronica’s. She turned and looked over her shoulder, shooting a toothy smile at Jughead. He returned to Archie’s side.

“So, tomorrow’s the big day, Archibald.” He jested. “There’s still time to run.” Jughead laughed and playfully put his arm around Archie’s shoulder. Archie laughed. “So, what do we do now?”

“It looks like everything is going well here. I guess we go home. Tomorrow will be here before we know it.”

Betty and Veronica stayed at the Pembrook the night before the wedding while Jughead and Archie stayed at the Lodge-Andrews Estate. “Hey Arch, I know it’s the night before your wedding, but would you mind if I ran out real quick?” Jughead asked. Archie gave him a nervous look. He winced at the idea. “Relax, I just wanna go talk to my Dad. Let him know I’m okay, grab some things for tomorrow.” Jughead placed his hand on Archie’s shoulder. “I promise, I’ll be back soon. Come with me if you want. We can bring my bike down to the Wyrm for someone to fix up.” Archie agreed. He really didn’t want Jughead off on his own again, just in case.

Archie and Jughead made the quick trip to the Whyte Wyrm and unloaded his bike. Jughead spotted FP’s motorcycle and decided to go inside, Archie following close behind. “Sit at the bar, I’ll be back down in a few.” Jughead ushered Archie to Sweet Pea. “Give him some bourbon.” Sweet Pea followed orders. Jughead scanned the room, looking for FP. He didn’t see him, so he made his way upstairs to the office. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door three times.

“I told no one to bother me!” FP hissed opening the door violently, pressing the heel of his palm against the door jam. His demeanor changed immediately when he saw Jughead’s face. He grabbed him by the back of the neck and pulled him in for a hug. He held him out at arms length, hands still on his son’s shoulders. FP looked him up and down. “So much for one piece,” he chuckled. Jughead pursed his lips together and shrugged his shoulders. “What’s up, Jug?” They entered his office and FP closed the door behind them.