Chapter 4

The wedding was a week away. The once ‘core four’ had reunited over menus and centerpieces multiples times in the weeks leading up to the wedding, Archie and Veronica wanted their friends’ approval. They used it as an excuse for Betty and Jughead to see each other more, maybe it would change Betty’s mind about forgetting her feelings for him.

Betty was staying in her childhood bedroom with her mother, Alice. It was as if nothing had changed since she uprooted her life in Riverdale. Jughead hadn’t worked up the courage to visit his old stomping grounds, his former serpents life. This was another reason he left Riverdale. He wanted to make something of himself. He didn’t want the life is father had led. Serpents, the Army, back again, jail, unemployment, instability. Jughead wanted stability more than anything, but he did not find what he was looking for while he was out on the road. All he found was a string of one night stands, dive bars and conference rooms where he would rehash his high school days to true crime fanatics. He wanted something more than the same old life he thought he’d be destined to lead.

It was time for the final fittings for Betty and Veronica. Veronica had picked a dress for Betty, knowing she would ultimately say yes to being her maid of honor. Royal purple for the only daughter of Hiram and Hermione Lodge, it only seemed fitting. Betty exited the fitting room to see Veronica in her wedding dress.

“Oh my god, V, you look spectacular!” Betty exclaimed. It was nice to see that Veronica had not lost her flair for fashion and drama. Her dress sat low on her perfectly sun-kissed back.

“Naturally,” Veronica joked. “Are you sure you’re okay with this, B? Part of me still feels weird about how everything happened.” She looked up at Betty with slight sadness in her eyes.

“Of course, V. I wouldn’t be here with you if I didn’t think this was a good idea. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face. I’m happy for you guys.” Betty grazed Veronica’s arm for reassurance. She really was happy that Archie could move on, even if she couldn’t.

“So, now that we’re eight days out, I need to tell you something. I maaaay have told Archie about your situation. Well, I didn’t tell him per sey. I may have just strongly hinted at it, nonverbally.” Veronica could see Betty’s face shift from reassurance to mortification.

“Veronica. I told you not to say anything. I was going to just let it go! It’s embarrassing. Someone like Jughead Jones would never go for a girl like me. We come from two different worlds. He’s done something with his life. What have I done?” Betty is getting visibly emotional. She storms into the fitting room and changes back into her street clothes. She comes back out, adjusting her denim jacket, to find Veronica sitting on the floor in her wedding dress. She wipes the tears from her eyes. “I’m sorry, V.”

“Betty, why are you so hard on yourself? You’ve accomplished so much in your life. You graduated college, you’ve been working as a journalist for years now. What part of that isn’t an accomplishment? You left Riverdale. That in and of itself is an accomplishment! And to say ‘someone like him’ would never be interested is crap and you know it.” Veronica stood up and walked into the dressing room to take off the wedding dress. “Betty, Jughead would be lucky to have a girl like you in his life. Lord knows he needs something stable. Do you really think he’s happy being alone on the road all the time? He’s not, I can tell you that for certain.  He told Archie all about how miserable he is out there.” She popped her head out of the dressing room curtain, giving Betty a look of certainty. “What’s the worst that could happen, Betty?” She pulls the curtain open, dressed in her street clothes.

“I don’t know. I’m sure he doesn’t feel the same way. It’s stupid. We don’t even know each other anymore. We’ve barely spoken since he left town, until these past few weeks. It’s been nice having the core four back together--even if the seating arrangements are different now.” She giggled under her breath, taking Veronica’s hand and walking out of the boutique.

“Pop’s tonight?” Veronica asked.

“Sure. See you there.” Veronica smiled at Betty as they went off in separate directions.

….

While the girls were at their fitting, the boys were at theirs. Archie and Jughead tried on their suits for the last time before the big day.

“So, Arch. It’s almost that time. How do you feel? Nervous?” Jughead joked.

“Actually, no. I mean, it’s a little weird that Betty is the maid of honor, but Veronica insisted--said she wouldn’t have it any other way.” Archie shook his head as he adjusted the sleeves on his tuxedo. He dropped his hands to his side. “Welp, here it is.” He looked to Jughead for approval.

Jughead looked Archie up and down. “Dashing.” He laughed.

“So, Veronica found out some interesting information from Betty a few weeks ago. I’ve been debating whether or not I was going to tell you, but you probably don’t wanna know.” Archie laughed taking off his tuxedo pants. Jughead was in the next changing room adjusting his signature gray beanie. Even after all these years, he still wears the same one--the last remnant of his childhood.

“Oh yea? What’s that?” Jughead called out from behind the dressing room door. He was curious who could have occupied the mind of Betty Cooper. On the outside, she was prim, proper and perfect. She always had been the perfect girl next door. Every detail about her was calculated and accounted for. When he saw her again for the first time at Pop’s a few week prior, something seemed different to him about her. Something was askew. He thought it was his imagination.

“Remember how Betty said she left me because there was someone else? There wasn’t, well, not physically, only emotionally.” The men left their respective dressing rooms and sat in the tufted leather chairs just outside the curtains. Jughead raised his eyebrows. He didn’t understand. “She’s had a thing for someone since we were in high school, but she was with me, so she never pursued it. She said she was just going to drop it, but Veronica convinced her not to.” Jughead racked his brain for anyone she paid special attention to, other than Archie in high school. It could have been anyone. She was a Vixen, after all. She was friendly to everyone. He was having a hard time remembering back that far.

“So? Are you gonna tell me?” Jughead pushed.

“Nah. It’s not really my place to say.” Archie stood up, adjusted his pants and starting walking toward the door.

“That’s what you’re gonna leave me on? Some brother you are.” Jughead joked.

“Pop’s tonight?” Archie asked.

“Sure. See you there.” Jughead agreed. He never needed to be convinced to get food.