Chapter 2

“What do I do?” Archie began to panic. He had long since given up trying to reach Betty. She left Riverdale years ago, changed her phone number, never left a forwarding address, just vanished. “Play it cool, Andrews. Play it cool,” he muttered to himself. Jughead laughed at him, louder than he intended. Betty began walking toward the pair in the diner.

“Betty Cooper, as I live and breathe,” Jughead stood up to greet his once long time friend, eyes darting to Archie urging him to move.

“Jughead Jones, or should I say Forsythe Jones, III,” she laughed. Jughead Jones thought he’d be better received as an author if he used his given name instead of the archaic nickname from decades past.

Who would read something written by Jughead Jones...what is a Jughead anyway, he thought. It was clear to Jughead that Betty kept tabs on him over the years. He figured no one would care if he had left Riverdale for good. “I wouldn’t go that far, Elizabeth.” He smirked at her and raised an eyebrow. “What brings you back to fair Riverdale?”

“I, uhh, got an interesting piece of mail recently.” She glanced over to Archie, who sat in the booth, paralyzed with fear. His hands were shaking, trying to work up the courage to get up to face her. He shifted his leg out of the booth and stood up, took the deepest breath he could muster and turned around. “Hey, Archie.” She bit her lips together. She didn’t know what to say either. “I got your wedding invitation, Arch. I’m happy for you.” Betty stepped toward him. She smiled a small, innocent smile that Archie had fallen in love with over the years. They all sat down together, Betty next to Jughead. Pop came to refill their coffee cups. “Thanks, Pop.”

“Betty, I didn’t know where to contact you. I tried. You gotta b--” Archie started, but Betty interrupted. She grabbed his hand from across the table.

“Arch, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have just run away. I was so afraid of myself that I thought it was the best thing to do. I knew about you and Veronica then, but I couldn’t tell you. Honestly, I was relieved. I didn’t know how to tell you I wanted to leave, I figured that was the best way. I used it as an out, but I never told you. I am so sorry.” Betty was genuine in her apology. Archie sat back, pulling his hand away from Betty’s. He sighed and shook his head slightly.

“How did you know? I’m sorry it happened, but how did you know?” Archie was confused, why wouldn’t Betty just admit that she knew the whole time?

“I stopped at my mom’s before coming over the night I got back from my internship. I was in my room going through some old issues of the Blue and Gold to take back with me, when I looked up through the window and saw you two. I couldn’t say I was surprised, though. I was never fully honest with myself, that’s why I never said anything. There was always someone else in the back of my mind, too, Arch. But, that wasn’t the plan. The plan was for you and I to be married and be just like my parents. It took me some time to realize it, but I didn’t want the life she had planned for me, for us. I figured it would be easier for me to just leave.” Betty was beginning to get emotional, they could hear it in her voice. Jughead leaned over and rubbed her arm in reassurance, just as she had for him all those years ago. She looked over at him and smiled through her tears.

“Betty, we’ve been friends for the majority of our lives, you could have just told me.” Archie reached out for Betty, but she leaned back, just out of reach. “I have to admit, I was heartbroken. Veronica was there for me. I know that isn’t how it looks, but she was. It turned into something I never imagined. So, I guess, I have to thank you, Betty.” Archie smiled at her. She smiled back, but there were thoughts racing through her head that she couldn’t articulate. Her heart began to race under her pastel sweater.

“I wasn’t being true to myself. I couldn’t go through with our engagement knowing that one day it would be even worse. My heart just wasn’t in it anymore.” Archie nodded, indicating he understood. Betty stood up, wiping her eyes. Archie stood up, advancing for a hug. Betty and Archie hugged for the first time in five years. “I should go, I’m sorry for interrupting your coffee date, guys.” She smirked at Jughead. He nodded his head, saying goodbye without words. “I’ll see you guys around?”

“Sure.” they agreed. Archie sat back down in the booth across from Jughead.

“Wow,” Archie sighed. “I didn’t expect that to happen.”

“Is it bad that I want to know who it is?” Jughead took a bite of cold sandwich he had forgotten about while sitting with his childhood friends. Archie glared up at him from behind his water and smirked.

“That was everything I didn’t know I needed.” Archie and Jughead sat for another hour retelling stories of the years they’d missed out on in each other’s lives. Jughead shared stories of his book tour across the country, the people he had met, pseudo-friendships he forged. The girls he’d dated, but how they all ended the same way. None of them wanted to date a someone who was on the road most of the time.

“Jeanette broke up with me a few weeks back. We had been together a year. I thought it was going to work out this time. I guess I was wrong. I guess no one understands it.” Jughead took another swig of coffee before changing the topic. “I missed you, man. I’m sorry for not keeping in touch. I’m the worst.” Jughead looked over at Archie, who’s gaze wandered around the diner.

“Sorry about Jeanette, but yeah, you are the worst. Why would I even want you as my best man?” Archie laughed. Jughead was stunned.

“Your best man? Arch, but-- its been years.” Jughead felt honored. He knew he hadn’t been the most dependable in recent years, but he always held his friendship with Archie as the standard.

“Time doesn’t matter. You are my oldest and dearest friend, Jug. I can’t do it without you. So, what do you say?”

Jughead didn’t respond. He finished his coffee, raised his eyebrows and smiled at his best friend.