Chapter 7

Jughead paced around FP’s trailer in the dark, running his hands through his hair and gritting his teeth in frustration. The key turned in the lock, Jughead looked at the door as FP walked in.

“Jug? What’re you doing here?” FP said as he reached for the light switch. He threw his keys onto the kitchen counter. He turned around to see Jug sitting on the couch with his head in his hands, peeling away the layers of skin on the inside of this bottom lip.

“I really messed up, Dad.” Jughead choked on his confession. He informed FP of Betty’s love, misfortune, and his running away. Again. “What do I do?” She probably hates me now.

“Jug, it seems to me that you need to figure out how you feel about Betty. Why else would you have run?” FP put his hand on Jughead’s shoulder.

“Wouldn’t it be a mistake? We’re so different. I’m not enough for her--”

“You do not sell yourself short, Jughead Jones, you hear me?” FP was stern with Jughead. FP knew he wasn’t there to support Jughead as much as he should have been growing up, but he was going to try to make it up where he could, starting now. “Betty’s a great girl, Jug. What are you so afraid of?”

What am I so afraid of? Why can’t I just talk to her? She’ll understand, she always has. “What if I just ruined everything?” Jughead sighed, heartbroken for his actions. He never meant to cause someone so much pain.

“Do what you do best.” FP chuckled. Jughead raised his head and looked up at FP. He squinted with one eye, trying not to stare directly into the lamp. He placed his hands on his knees and hoisted himself off of the couch. He hugged his father, grabbed his helmet and left the trailer, left Sunnyside.

He hopped on his motorcycle, not knowing where he was going. He went to Greendale and back, contemplated just leaving for good again. No. Stop running, jackass. How can I make this up to her? When will there even be time? Veronica and Archie are getting married. You can’t just leave. Confront. Your. Feelings. Maybe I could see myself with her. She’s brilliant. She’s a phenomenal friend, a great confidant, beautiful, understanding. So, why are you running? A smile came to his face. He pulled off the side of the road, somewhere on his way back from Greendale, a second time. He took off his helmet, and let out a exhausted breath. He pulled out his phone from his pocket. The glow of the screen was too much for his eyes, they had adjusted to minimal light after hours of driving around.   05:30. Seven text messages waiting to be read . None of them were from Betty like he had hoped for. His heart sank. You ruined everything.

Dad Jug, where’d you go?

Dad: Be careful. Let me know you’re okay.

Archibald: How’d it go with Betty?

Archibald: Jug?

Archibald: Bro, where are you? Why did Betty call Ronnie hysterical at one am?

Veronica: FORSYTHE PENDLETON JONES, III! Answer us.

Veronica: What the hell, Jones?

Jughead cleared the messages and leaned against the seat of his bike, his back to the road. He threw his head back dramatically, and a guttural scream erupted out of him. It was the culmination of fear and frustration. He was never forced to face himself, until now. He switched his phone back on, I'm sorry . He turned off his phone and got back on the bike and went. Jughead didn't know where he was going to go, but Riverdale wasn't where he needed to be.