The Road to Recovery

Castiel didn’t dream while he slept.

If he did, his subconscious didn’t remember it when he woke up. It was an unusual feeling to be asleep. He awoke feeling rested and refreshed. No other form of relaxation made him feel this way. His brain felt foggy and slow, but it was a pleasant peaceful sensation.

The angel sleepily rubbed his eyes and rolled over a little. His body felt a little slow and tired, but overall he felt much better. He was still sore, but the pain wasn’t overwhelming anymore. His grace was strong enough to heal some of the minor wounds, but his mojo still wasn’t fully charged yet.

Absentmindedly, the angel wondered what time it was and how long he had been asleep. However, he suddenly realized that Dean’s warmth was no longer beside him. At the same moment, a sweet unusual smell wafted into the angel’s nose.

The confused and scared Castiel sat up and began frantically scanning the room looking for Dean.

He looked next to him at the second bed. It was empty. That bed would probably remain untouched for entirety of their stay at the motel. Cas aimlessly wondered why Sam had gotten two beds for them. Did he really think that he and Dean were gonna sleep alone?

When the angel was sure that Dean was nowhere in the main living area he stood up quickly. Apparently he had gotten up too fast because he lost his balance as stars flashed in front of his eyes. ‘Well, that’s a new one…… He thought to himself as he tried to clear his vision.’

Once he could walk without falling over the angel moved towards the kitchen area. Castiel observed that this motel was much larger than previous ones. The kitchen, bathroom and living area was actually split off from the bedroom. Sam had picked a pretty nice motel. It was probably extremely expensive….

Castiel’s heart started beating rapidly. The angel was beginning to panic. He just got back with Dean, he couldn’t lose him already! Cas suddenly remembered that he didn’t even have a weapon to use. He had no idea where his angel blade was. The last time he had seen it was just before Crowley took it away from him in the abandoned warehouse.

The angel felt sore, groggy, and completely exposed. What if Dean was hurt and he couldn’t help him?  Was he in the motel room? What was that unusual smell? It definitely wasn’t sulfur, but it wasn’t normal either.

As the angel edged closer to the kitchen he heard soft singing and the gentle clink of dishes.

“And be a simpleeee kind of man. Be something you love and understaaand. Baby be a simpleeee kind of man. Oh won’t you do this for me son, if you can.” Castiel heard the distinct, gruff voice of Dean Winchester as he sang along with the recorded song.

Cas relaxed a little as he peered around the corner and saw his beloved hunter. He was standing in front of the stove, still only wearing his pajamas pants, cooking some delicious smelling food. That would explain the unknown smell Castiel thought to himself.

“Get your lust from the rich man’s gold. All that you need is in your soul. Oh you can do this baby if you try.”  Dean was totally unaware of the pair of blue eyes carefully watching his every move.

Castiel had missed the everyday activities of his partner. Even though this was not usually one of the hunters normal activities Castiel still missed it.

The angel absentmindedly wondered what Dean was making. He watched as Dean opened the oven and checked something that was cooking inside. After, the hunter picked up a plastic spatula and scooped food off a pan and onto a plate. Then he turned around and set a fresh stack of amazing looking pancakes down on the small wooden table in the middle of the kitchen. Castiel licked his lips in anticipation. They looked delicious.