Surprise

It was close to 2:30 in the morning before the boys lay down in bed that night. It took them much longer to fall asleep than usual. They were all far too worried about the next day to even try relaxing.

Castiel was snuggled close to Dean who was spooning him. The hunter's strong arm was draped over the angel's body loosely.

Cas was simply lying there listening to Dean's slow soft breathing. He had finally fallen dozed at about ten past four. Though Castiel never slept he enjoyed lying next to Dean while he dreamed.

It never got boring; it never was annoying, only peaceful and calm. Sometimes he would drop himself into one of the hunter's dreams and watch. Other nights he would just enjoy the warmth of his body.

Tonight Dean was sleeping restlessly.  He kept twitching every few seconds. The angel was worried. He closed his eyes and squeezed his way into his lover's subconscious mind.

When he opened his eyes again he was in the hunter's dream. He saw Dean surrounded by a horde of demons all alone. Cas flew over to him almost in slow motion before landing next to dream Dean. He turned to face the angel.

"Cas." He gasped out softly with a small smile spreading across his face.

The angel smiled back gently, placing his hand on Dean's arm.

In real life Castiel felt Dean's twitching stop all together. Dean hated being alone. It was one of his fears, being abandoned and all alone.

So as a team Dream Dean and Castiel fought off the demons together.

Suddenly, the dream shifted as they often do. They never stay the same for long.

The dream Dean was now sitting on top of a checkered blanket on the side of a lake. He was fishing. Lying next to the hunter there was a second fishing pole just waiting to be used.

Castiel had recently begun to notice that Dean would fish in his dreams if he was happy.

It was peaceful and calming by the lake. Bees buzzed aimlessly around them and little ants scuttled around the blanket in search of food. Castiel didn't think the hunter got to fish very much.

Dean looked towards Cas and motioned for him to come join him on the blanket.

The angel quickly obliged and picked up the second fishing pole.

Together they just sat quietly fishing. They never caught anything but it was still a very pleasant experience.  At one point the hunter scooted closer to his angel and put his arm around his waist.

Dream contact always felt slightly different than real contact. There was a smoky sensation that came with human contact in dreams. It was a cool yet warm feeling but a little strange all together.

The hunter placed a soft smoky kiss on the angel's check before the dream shifted once again.

This one was a memory.

Memories often incorporate themselves into dreams. This particular memory was from the day Dean had finally asked Castiel out.

Dean had imagined a dream version of the angel now so real Cas made himself invisible. If Dean saw two of him then he could become confused and wake up. The hunter needed his sleep tonight.

"Cas......" Dream Dean muttered softly as dream Cas looked back at him in confusion.

"Are you alright Dean?"

"Yeah.... yeah.... I uhhh... just wanted to ask you something..." The dream hunter mumbled softly as he moved closer the dream angel.

"Okay? What do you need to ask?"