The Dark King

Deep in the mountains far to the North. In a place where battles were fought eons ago. Battles that still scar the land to this day. Here stands a castle blacker than night. There is no life within sight of this ghastly visage. For this is where the greatest battle in the history of the long lived races was fought. This is where good triumphed over evil all those thousands of years ago…..

    Or so they thought.

    Deep within the bowels of the black castle the heart of evil still beats. It grows stronger as the days go by. Never again will it beat as strongly as it did on the day of the great battle but it matters not. The Elders have all passed from the world. Gone on to be with the maker. After winning The Great War they felt as though they were no longer needed to protect their children. One by one the fathers of the races moved on to take their place beside their father in the Hall of Kings in the land of the Gods. Now they look down on their children from above. Unable to even warn them of what is to come. The only thing they were able to do is send a prophecy to the First King. A prophecy that does little to help them know what is to come. Vague and incomplete, all the races of the world have only been able to hope that when the evil rises again there would be help from the Elders. But they have moved on. All save one. The one the others thought was dead. He was just weakened to a state of near non-existence. No longer did he have a body of flesh and blood. All that remained of the once great sorcerer was the malice and evil. The thirst for revenge kept his spirit from departing the world. The worship and lament of his followers has given him strength to rise once again into being.

    Though his name has been forgotten over the eons since his destruction, the memory of what he did still resides in a few legends. He can’t even remember his name. It has been so long since a name was necessary that it matters little. The only name that concerns him is the one his subjects use. Master. He is referred to by his enemies as The Dark King.

They do not know who he really is. They believe that he is a mage that has given over the dark arts. What they don’t realize is that he is the one that created the dark arts. He was also the father of the soulless races. Orcs, ogars, trolls, and giants. Along with a few other nasty magical creations.

    He places his hands over the viewing pool before him and calls to one of his pets. “Come to me. I have a task for you.”

    The giant black dragon in pool turns his head as though he can see his master. Then it bolts into the sky and flies to the black castle.

    The Dark King shows the dragon an image of the human brothers in the pool and says. “I cannot locate them. They are protected from me by a force that I’m not familiar with. Find them and destroy them.”

    With that the black dragon left the castle to hunt the Whindfalls.

    Meanwhile in the Dwarven kingdom of Hammer’s Throw….