60 - Crumbling Down

The guards took the guests, along with Cassandra and her female cousins to a hidden underground room made for safety purposes. "I can't do this." She says as she took off her heels and turns back around. 

"Are you going back there?" Kat asks whispering. Cassandra nods, not wanting to draw more attention. "Can't stay here worrying about him." 

Kat looks around, making sure that they are in clear. "There's a secret passageway from here to the palace. Let's go." She takes Cassandra's hand and drags her behind. 

When they got back into the palace, Lucian's followers are already attacking the royal armies. "Oh my god there's a lot of them." Kat says covering her mouth.

---

Jared was casting some protection spell to the secret door to heaven when he was suddenly pushed away by a strong force. "I know you'd be here." Mara says proudly. "You're just like my father. Caring about this stupid door more than the throne itself." She adds. 

Jared stands up, but Mara moves her fingers, causing him to be tied up with black thorny vines. "If only you didn't erase your love for me that easily. Maybe we won't have to be in this situation." She tells him. 

Jared struggles to free himself, only to get his skin teared by the thorns. "Mara, we are your family. You're an angel. You know the consequences if Lucian rules the world." He tells her. 

"Consequences?" Mara asks before she bursts into laughter. "Once he rules, I'll be his queen. The consequences only falls for you, and those kids I don't care about." She walks closer to him. "But maybe, as the courtesy of being the one you used to love, I'll cut you some slack." She cups his face with one hand. 

"Get the hell away from my dad!" Joel yells at the back. 

Mara turns around, not looking like she's surprised with his appearance. "Oh, you're my nephew." She says. "Here to save your father from getting hurt? You don't have to do that." She says with an evil smile as she snapped her fingers. 

The vines strangles Jared's body even tighter, making him scream in pain. It gets tighter and tighter. Joel runs to save his father but Mara blocks him with an invisible wall. Her black magic is too strong for Joel to fight with. 

"Mama, stop." Riki screams. Seeing her little boy coming doesn't make her stop. "You're going to come with me when we're done, Riccardo." She confidently tells him. 

"If you don't stop I'm not coming with you I swear!" Riki screams again. 

"Little boy you don't threaten your mama like that." She says as she puts her hand down. The vines loosen up again, letting Jared's lifeless body falls to the ground. Joel runs to his dad and tries to wake him up. "Don't waste your time he's not waking up." She tells him. "What if you just join him?"

"Mama stop it! Or I'll make you!" Riki warns her. 

"You listen to me, Riccardo! Their lives are nothing to us. I raised you, you owe me your life! If it wasn't for me you won't be alive." Mara says through gritted teeth. 

"No, mama. You won't be alive if it wasn't for me." Riki takes a dagger out from his sleeve and stabs her chest right through her heart. She looks at the dagger stabbing her chest and pouts her mouth. "Does living with them makes you a fool, Riki? You know you can't kill me like that."

Her eyes were fixed on Riki she didn't notice him using his hand behind him to tell Joel to make his move. "I know. Stabbing your heart won't kill you. Unless your 'other heart' stopped as well." He says before he draws the dagger out and immediately hands it to Joel. "Now!"

In a blink of an eye Joel stabs the dagger right into Riki's heart. Joel grabs him just before he falls to the ground. "No!!!!!!" Mara screams out holding her chest. She can feel the stabbing pain now. But her scream does nothing to Joel. 

"Take....it out." Riki orders Joel. Sobbing, Joel takes the dagger out and throws it away.

"I convinced you there must be another way

"I convinced you there must be another way. This can't be the only way!" He cries. 

Riki forced a smile, before he coughed out blood. "There's, no other way." He replies. "Tell Kat and Cass I'm sorry." He says before his eyes closed. 

Joel drops his head on his knees, crying for the loss of his father and cousin. "Riki!" Kat screams before she runs and falls on her knees beside his body.

"No this can't be real, wake up!" she shakes her body.

"He's gone." Joel says with a dead voice. "I'm sorry."

Kat continues crying her heart out while holding Riki's body. Cassandra couldn't believe her eyes. She makes baby steps towards Joel and hugs him while staring at her dead brother.

It was then they were joined by the others. "Oh God." Richard says when he sees three lifeless bodies in the room.

Chris and Irama are carrying Zabdiel with them, as he was attacked by Lucian's followers. "There are too many of them. We have to retreat." he says.

Joel has lose every sense in him. He just stared at Riki without responding to anything they said to him.

"I saw us living somewhere far from here. Or die in Lucian's armies hands." Irama says seriously. "I don't want to die. We have to run away."

Richard helps Joel up, while Cassandra helps Kat. "He's gone. Let's go." Richard tells his sister.

They're on their way to the secret passageway Kat and Cass used before when Cassandra caught someone familiar walking in the upper stairs balcony.

"That's Erick!" she tells them. "He's one of them now. We don't have time to save him." Richard replies, taking her hand to join them escape from the palace.

"He saved my life once. I'm not leaving without him." she insisted as she breaks free from Richard's grip and runs to get Erick.

Just before Richard and Joel can chase after her, an arrow passed right in front of them. "They saw us. We have to go now." Irama says, pushing everyone into the hidden door.

And that's the end of Wings book one. There's a book two, Wings: Redemption. Search for it in my acc if you can't find it. Thank you for reading. I love y'all.