9 - The Aunt Knows

Cassandra stares at the ceiling, worrying about what could happen tomorrow. After what happened tonight she realized that she wasn't just liking Joel, she love him. Joel was already deeply asleep beside her. She turned on her side, letting out her hand to touch his hair and play with his curls while resting her other hand on his chest.

"What have you done to me, Joel Pimentel? What if tomorrow you decide that this feeling doesn't go both ways? What would I do if that happens?" she almost sobs. Never has it occur to her that she would fall for him this hard. And now it's too late to back off.

"Let's take a trip around the palace." she tells herself. Carefully she put her feet down from the bed, and makes her way to the balcony. Then she shifts her shape into a moth, her favorite option in shape shifting before she flies to the center part of the palace.

She flew passed Jared's room. He's not asleep yet. Something is bothering him. Sticking to her own business Cassandra flies into the main hall, not bothering to take a closer look on what Jared's doing. As she flies through the hallway she noticed there are portraits of the royal families.

She studies all the faces. Some from the passed centuries. Some of them aren't much familiar, but resembles the face of the five princes she knows. Then she noticed a portrait of someone familiar. Her mother.

"There you are, mother." she says, trying to imagine her mother's life when she was younger and living in this palace. Hanging beside it was the portrait of the Velez's family. "You could've be in there, mother. But you decided to follow Lucian to that nasty Underworld. So much for true love." she scoffs the last part.

--

After being assured by her son that he was doing just fine, Lucinda left his room to retreat to her room. But before going back to meet her husband she walks around the palace to clear her mind. That's when she finds a black moth in the hallway.

"I know who you are." she says, smiling as she opens her palm. Not knowing what to do, Cassandra obeys by flying onto Lucinda's palm. Lucinda takes her into an empty room nearby, and tells her to shift back into her human form.

As soon as she's in her human form Cassandra keeps her head to the ground, afraid of what Lucinda going to do to her

As soon as she's in her human form Cassandra keeps her head to the ground, afraid of what Lucinda going to do to her. "You are Lucian's daughter? With Matilda?" Lucinda asks her. There's no harm in her voice. 

Cassandra nods. "Matilda Vélez is my mom. Please, don't tell them. I will leave if you want me to." She answers, her voice shaken. 

Lucinda tells her to spill everything. So Cassandra comes clean about Lucian's plan. She almost breaks into tears as she imagines how the guys would react if they knew. Lucinda studies her face when she's talking. "Your eyes softenend. You don't want to do it anymore. Is it because of my son?" She asks. 

Cassandra shakes her head. "Not just Erick. It's all of them. I can't betray them like that." She answers. "And I love Joel." She adds, almost inaudible. 

Lucinda assured Cassandra to relax herself and starts asking about her mother Matilda. When Cassandra mentioned that her mother is still living with Lucian in the Underworld, something occurs in Lucinda's mind. "Is she wearing an emerald necklace?" She asks. 

Cassandra tells her that Matilda has been wearing the necklace since forever, saying that it was inherited from the Vélez family. That's when Lucinda's face changes. "We need to tell Matthew." She takes Cassandra's hand. 

"Matthew? Chris's father? No." Cassandra pulls her hand back. She shake her head dramatically, begging Lucinda not to tell Matthew or anyone about who she is. "It's about your mother, Cassandra. Matthew needs to know. It's okay if you're scared, leave it to me." she assured her. "And I think you have to go back now before they noticed you're missing." Lucinda says before she left the room.

---

Back into Joel's room, what happened earlier doesn't help making Cassandra feels better. After a few hours of forcing herself to sleep, she can finally close her eyes. The next morning when she wakes up, the bed was empty. Playing the worst case scenario in her head, she can imagine Joel waking up thinking everything they did last night was a mistake. 

She pull the cover back over her head, trying her best to fight the tears. That's when her phone rang, and the screen showed Joel's caller ID. "Hey, if you think everything was a mistake, I understand. You don't need to explain." She says in one breath as soon as she answers the call.

On the other end of the line, Joel bursts into laughter, making her confused. "What were you thinking, Cass? If it was a mistake then it was the best mistake I've ever done." He says, sending relief to Cassandra's heart. "I'm calling to wake you up, so that you can go to the balcony because we have a surprise for you." 

Following what Joel asks her to do, she walks to the balcony. That's when she saw everyone was flying around with their strong, white-feathered wings. Except for Erick, of course. His was black, just like Cassandra's.

"Joel, she's here." Chris yells as soon as he sees her. That's when Joel flies up to the balcony rail, and let out his hand. "Erick told me you've known about us. But you never know what it's like to kiss an angel in the air, do you?" he arched his brow and let out his signature tempting side smirk.

Accepting his invitation, Cassandra takes his hand and cling on him as he flew further to the sky. "Don't look down." he says, but Cassandra disobeyed. They were thousands feets above ground. "I'm not afraid, you won't let me fall, would you?" she asks, smiling before they kissed each other above the sky.

Witnessing what happened above them, Zabdiel laughs his heart at Richard, who has frustration shown on his face. When he noticed that his cousin was making fun of him, Richard slaps the end of his wing on Zabdiel's face.

"Don't laugh at me like that, you know you like her too." Richard whines. Erick and Chris were both brokenhearted as well, but they distract themselves with Jodi and Samia.

---

"Are you serious, Lucinda? After all those failed attempts you finally know how to save my sister? How?" Matthew asks in disbelief, as they've tried so many times to find a portal to the Underworld to save Matilda but ended up failing.

"But before that, promise me we'll keep this from our sons. Until we find her. That's what I've promised to our niece." Lucinda replies.

"Our niece? You're saying Lucian and Matilda has a daughter?"