7 - Party Ended Early

Listening to what Erick has told her makes Cassandra feels the connection they have. Even she can't feel belongs anywhere because of her half blood. But one thing she knows is that no one should ever live their life there, in the Underworld. Especially someone as nice as Erick.

"We all feel that sometimes. But the Underworld you've mentioned, you've never been there. You don't know what it's like. Your grandfather is just one person, Erick. You have your cousins that love you. Your parents. You have me." She speaks slowly to comfort him.

Erick calms himself down. And after a while, he can let himself draw a faint smile before throwing his gaze back to the floor. "I'm sorry you have to listen to all that, Cass. I just feel comfortable with you. I don't have other friends anyway. Just my cousins and you." he says without looking at her.

Cassandra gives him a hug and rest her head on his shoulder. "Don't apologize, Erick. I'm glad you talk to me about it. I'll always be here for you anytime you need me to." she assured him, making Erick feels at ease that he finally has someone to talk to about his family issue.

Erick stayed in Cassandra's apartment until evening. Then he remembered that they are having another party at the palace tonight. The one for cousins only, no elders involved. And it's held at their particular wing of the palace, not the center where the whole big royal family is gathering.

"So we're still going to the private party?" Cassandra asks him. "Yeah, Richard would be sad if we're not there." Erick answers, before Cassandra asks him to help her choose her outfit.

After changing a few dresses, she finally finds the right one. Erick just sit on her bed, watching over her as she applies her makeups and do her hair. "Stop being so pretty, Cass. I can't compete with my cousins for you everyday." me mumbles.

"What?" Cassandra looks over her shoulder. "Nothing. Are you done?" Erick shakes his head. "I am. Let's go." she replied before they both left her apartment.

Joel's mood is everywhere this week. He can't figure out what's wrong with Cassandra. She doesn't even return his calls. He was awoken from his thoughts when Richard screams out Cassandra's name as she gets in with Erick.

"You made it. You came." Richard hugs her. Joel just watch from a distance, not knowing why Cassandra comes with Erick instead of asking him to pick her up. "If she doesn't want to talk to me then I won't talk." he says to himself as he takes his eyes off from her.

Erick introduces his other cousins to Cassandra. Now she knows that Zabdiel has a younger sister, Richard has a younger brother and a twin sisters. Joel, Chris and Erick don't have other siblings. And there are distant relatives here too. They all are friendly, Cassandra doesn't have a hard time making friends with everyone in the party.

Erick was just about to get the party vibe when Joel's father, Jared crashes into the party, drawing silence from everyone. "Erick Brian Colón, where did you go this afternoon?" He asks, stern.

Erick keeps his head to the ground. "Can't answer me? It's okay. But your grandfather wants to see you. He's not taking no as an answer, Erick. Let's go." and just like that, the two leave the venue.

Cassandra was worried about him. What does his grandfather wants from him? He hurt him enough. Just as she was busy thinking about him a hand pulled her back. The next thing she knows she's in a room with someone. Joel.

Just looking at him makes her nervous

Just looking at him makes her nervous. He doesn't have to say anything to make her heart races, and she hates it. "Why did you avoid me these days? You didn't answer my calls, ignored my texts, and then you showed up with Erick? What was that, Cassandra?" he asks. His voice sounds like a mix of frustration and anger.

There's a voice in her mind telling her to come clean and tell him everything so that she doesn't have to hide anymore. Just like what Lucinda did with Erick's father. But then she tells herself she can't be that weak. She can't lose to him.

"We're not dating, Joel. We promised to keep things slow but you keep spamming my phone. It makes me uncomfortable. And Erick is my friend too. He came to me because he was having a hard time and need someone to talk to. That's why we ended up coming here together. There's nothing wrong with that." she keeps her voice low so that no one from outside of the room can hear her.

They got their eyes locked on each other.  "You said you like me, but now you're acting like you're not." Joel grabbed her arms tightly, almost hurting her. "Tell me Cassandra, are you actually playing with me and my cousins?" he glares at her.

I was, until you got me falling for you. Before Cassandra can find a word to defend herself, they were shocked by a sound of loud thundering sound coming from outside. "Erick what's wrong?" she can hear someone screamed from the outside.

Without second thought she gets out from the room, leaving Joel behind her. In the middle of people staring at him, Erick was breathing heavily, looking at the coffee table he just broke with his feet. Cassandra rushed towards him and hugs him, telling him to calm down before she takes him away.

Seeing she left with Erick hurts Joel in the chest, as she was leaving their serious conversation. It was so important to him. But she chose to comfort Erick. "Now I know where this is taking us." he grunts to himself. Just before everyone can recover from what happened with Erick, Joel punched the door with his fist. After noticing that all eyes were looking at him, he ran to his room.

"That's a lot of rage in one space. And a lot of confusion too. Mind blowing." Chris says as he watches Joel leaves, trying to save the mood. But no one feels the party vibe anymore.

Author's note: I'm trying 😩