THIRTY-NINE

"What is this?" I asked, looking all around in awe. Flowers of all colors bloomed around me, creating a rainbow of sorts. I could hear the rush of a stream from somewhere behind me but I was distracted by all the flowers.

"Its a safe place, of sorts." A familiar voice replied, nearly making me jump out of my skin. I spun around, my eyes wide, as I faced the owner of the voice.

It was him.

My mate.

Paul Lahote.

A grin formed on my face as I ran to him, throwing my arms around his neck as I hugged him. Paul wrapped his arms around me in response, holding me tightly, as if I would disappear. I never wanted this moment to end. The sun was slowly setting, the breeze lightly tossing my hair around.

"What am I? Chop liver?" A sarcastic voice commented. Both Paul and I chuckled as we let go of each other, facing Damon. I intertwined our hands, lacing our fingers together. Damon stood in front of us. But instead of his usual signature smirk, he was sporting a small, soft, sad smile.

The smile dropped from my face as reality sunk in deep. "How bad?" I whispered, looking at the two of them. Both Paul and Damon hung their heads, not daring to look into my eyes. "How bad?" I repeated, louder this time. Paul flinched, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Let's not worry about that." Damon responded, giving me a tight smile as he met my eyes. His eyes told me everything I already knew; they confirmed it.

"Cut the act, Salvatore. Tell me. Now." I snapped. Damon flinched.

"The doc, Carlisle, says there isn't anything he can do. And he's tried everything, trust me. Heck, he even tried using Paul's blood," Damon broke out eye contact, looking down at the first floor. "Nothing has worked."

I opened my mouth to say something when suddenly a blinding white light popped up, blinding the three of us. "What the heck?" I heard Paul growl. Then suddenly, Paul's arms weren't around me and I could no longer feel his presence.

"PAUL?!" I yelled in panic and worry.

"EVERLY!? WHERE ARE YOU?" Paul shouted back. His voice sounded so far away but so close at the same time. And for the second time in so many hours, in a short amount of time, blackness surrounded me, as the shouts of Damon and Paul faded.

~~~~~

Paul's POV

Next thing I know, Damon and I are standing in Carlisle's study, hovering over Everlys pale body. I hang my head as I sit in the seat beside her, letting her hand fall.

"What happened?" Carlisle asked, immediately at our side. I chose to stay quiet, knowing that I couldn't even comprehend words that this moment.

Damon sighed. "Everything was going fine. Everly was being her usual stubborn self and forced the truth out of us; well me. And then our of nowhere, there is this bright light and then we were thrown back into the real world." Damon explained. Gasps filled the room of those who were present.

"What's gonna happen?" Reneesme asked in a whisper, her voice laced with sadness. Carlisle sighed, placing his hands on the edge of the hospital bed.

"I don't know, Reneesme, I don't know."

~~~~~

"There has to be something we can do." Aro exclaimed, his eyes flickering to my imprints unconscious body. Carlisle shook his head, frowning.