THIRTY-SIX

My heart was racing as I followed behind Zachary, Beau close behind the two of us. All around us, supernatural creatures were fighting each other, preparing as some would call it. I know that there is more than what Zachary is telling me but I know that Zachary will tell me soon enough. As I walked by, everyone in the area would stop fighting for a spilt second and stare at me with wide eyes. Most were new and I imagine had only been told stories of me, until now. Every single one of the older recruits recognized me right away and averted their eyes elsewhere, knowing exactly what I was like.

"Well well well, looky who we have here." A voice snarled from behind me. I smirked, recognizing the owner of the voice immeaditly. I stopped mid-step, causing Zachary and Beau to stop with me.

I spun on my heel, crossing my arms over my chest. Lent chuckled from behind me. "Ahh, this should be interesting."

"Marie, this is a wonderful surprise. I thought that you would be long dead by now." I chuckled, watching as Marie clenched her jaw. I knew exactly how to push her buttons and when to push them.

"Well, at least I didn't run away." Marie shot back. A lot of 'burn' echoed across the field, making me roll my eyes.

"At least I had the guts to, meanwhile you still stand here and pitifully make your way up the ranks. I decided to make a life, something you apparently aren't capable of, many of you." I replied, the smirk still on my face. Marie growled loudly, clenching her fists.

"Cut it out you two. Everly, we have more important things to do and fighting is not one of them." Zachary groaned, annoyance lacing his voice. I rolled my eyes, turning on my heel and walking behind the two men. But not before giving Marie a death glare.

"What are we even doing here?" I questioned, glancing around at all the people practice fighting.

"Well Everly, today is the day that you regain your status here." Beau exclaimed, a smirk on his face. It was so hard not to snort at that comment.

"There's no need for that." I replied, crossing my arms over my chest. Both men raised eyebrows at me. It was my turn to smirk now.

"And why's that?" Zachary asked, curious himself. Dang it, now I have to watch what I say or else they'll catch on to the whole reason I decided to come with them.

"Do you see the way everyone looked at me as we walked by just a minute ago? Even the new recruits, the ones who haven't even met me, had only heard the stories and were still fearful of me."

During my rant, I had looked one of the new recruits directly in the eye while speaking. And to prove my claim right, the person flinched without even realizing it.

Zachary hummed, seeming to take that to consideration. "Very well then. Me against you, you against me. If you win, you will lead as my second in command. If you lose, I will put you at the lowest rank, cook." I rolled my eyes while in the background some gasped. This doesn't affect me. If I do lose, then that just means my plan will have to go in action a whole lot sooner.

I smirked. "Lead the way, Lent."

Quickly, I reached out with my mind to Aro and Jasper to send a message.

Texas, the old compounds. The old compounds where Maria used to be. Act and think quickly, as I am about to duel with Zachary.

~~~~~

I stepped into the white ring, cracking my knuckles. A large crowd had gathered around, eager to witness the outcome of this fight. I can hear/feel Jasper and Edward messing with my mind and emotions, trying to get me to rethink my decision. But I can only tell them one thing before blocking them out of my mind.

I love you all.

"You know, I really thought that maybe, just maybe, you had lost the attitude." Zachary chuckled, cracking his wrapped knuckles as he stepped into the ring.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "And I had thought that you had lost being greedy and selfish, but I guess we were both surprised."

"I'm really going to enjoy this." The man in front of me exclaimed. I let out a chuckle of my own.

"You'll be enjoying it when I put your arse in the ground." Zachary growled at that, his eyes flashing a dark shade of red.

"I'm going going to kill you." Lent snarled, his fangs on show.

"Not if I get to you first."

Zachary began walking in a circle and I mimicked him. We were never too close to each other or too far away. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Beau watching intensely. He was anxious, his hands twitching. Beau didn't know whether or not he wanted his 'father' to win or his soon-to-wife to win.

My heart was pounding loudly in my ears, my hands balled into fists. Every noise around me died out, as I only focused on Zachary. I knew his weaknesses and his strengths. He relys heavily on his upper muscles and throws a good punch. But, he was bit by a bear-shifter before I met him and he never fully recovered. Zachary growled impatiently and next thing I knew, he was lunging towards me, fangs bared and eyes pitch black. I ducked out of the way, quickly jabbing him in the stomach during my escape. I turned around just as Zachary was standing himself upright across from me. He dove for my legs, wrapping his arm around my left leg. Just as I went to kick him away, he dug his teeth into the skin above my ankle, pumping venom into it. I hissed out on pain, kicking him in the chest, sending him flying backwards.

Two can play at that game.

My eyes flickered to his arm, faking my next move. Zachary took the bait and a small smirk found its way onto his face. I mentally smirked in my head, this should be good. I fake lunged towards Zachary's arm and Zachary made a move to dodge the opposite way. But I was quicker than he was and smarter also. I struck his leg with my own leg, the uninjured one, putting all of my muscle into it. Zachary let out a shrill cry, crumbling to the ground. Surprised gasps filled the air, along with growls. But they didn't phase me. I did a somersault and jumped back up, spinning around. Zachary was still on the ground, withering in pain as he clutched his right leg. I could hear him hissing in pain from where I was standing.

I leaned my weight more on my right leg, trying my best to ease the pressure/pain in my leg. "I really thought you had changed, Everly." Zachary hissed out, sitting upright. I chuckled.

"I did change, Lent. You only brought out the old me the moment you showed up on that field." Zachary sighed, shaking his head.

"I knew I should've ignored that prophecy the moment I figured out it had to do with you. But I was ignorant and greedy and immeaditly went for it. I realize now that was a mistake." Zachary replied, his eyes locking with mine. I hummed, crossing my arms.

"It was a mistake, a big one."

"Do what you want with me, just promise me one thing." Lent exclaimed, his eyes casted downwards. I raised an eyebrow, ignoring the pain coarsing through my veins.

"And what would I do for you after everything you've done for me?" I questioned, every possible outcome going through my mind. Zachary sighed, finally managing to stand up.

"Promise me that you'll take of her for me."

"Who?" I questioned, confused. My mind was coming up with many different things but none of them made sense.

"Allison of course. Because I'm not the only one who knows that the famous Ripper Queen has claimed a child as her own."