~An Ultima's Offer~

*Play Song*

~Months Later~

"What about...him?" Katelyn suggests, her finger figuratively landing on a fellow on the opposite side of the semi-crowded bar.

I take another sip of my water. "You know I shouldn't."

"Know what? I know nothing. I know so much nothing I might as well be Jon Snow." Katelyn snickered, her playful grin taking a quick sip of her beverage. 

I can't help but laugh. Even in my darkest hour, Katelyn could lift my spirits, or make me drink some. 

It had been months since the last founding father, otherwise known as my grandfather, passed away and the duty of managing the vault was left in my miniature hands. But as it turns out, I was more ready than I thought.

For the leading part, not the...other part.

The reason why it may have been easier as I first presumed, is that I am now promised to Ultima Werewolf of the Lycan Family, who was also one of the founding families of the Vaults.

It has been an offer made for quite some time, but my grandfather had held off because of well, my extreme objection.

To be in a forced marriage with a savage uncontrollable beast, then carry his children, is...beyond reason.

But...beyond reason is what'll keep the vaults from war.

"So, let me get this straight. You are saying you have to be sober and a virgin for the all mighty Ultima? That's bull—" Luka started on the barstool to Katelyn's left, but Katelyn cut her off.

"--Buuuuttttt we are supportive of your sacrificial decision for the greater good of the vault." Katelyn raises her glass of tequila on my left, Luka and I do the same with her beer and my water. 

"Fuck both of you." I gulp down my mineral water, looking at the rows of alcohol longingly.

"Love you!" They both say simultaneously, clinking their glasses before chugging.

Shaking my head with an undeniable smile, I hear a vibration emerge from my phone, and the text I've been dreading arrives. 

As the Ultima has arrived.

*

"GATES OPENING CLEAR THE ENTRANCE!"

The announcements echo throughout the late expanse of the Vault's main lobby. A concrete monster where dozens of the vault's traveling trucks were parked and stowed. Even though the gates hadn't even opened yet, I couldn't help but feel cold as I stood before the gargantuan door separating the vault from it's radioactive surroundings. Cold, and queasy. And with the impending need to pee.

Nervous. I was nervous. How could I not be nervous?

Maybe he's small. Maybe he's a just a small, little wolf pup...who is also the Ultima werewolf and notoriously known for his height. And his fatal power. 

Goddamit. 

Then it happens. The 50-meter tall fortified gate splits creakily into two.

Marching through the doors first is a small company of werewolf soldiers, all tall and buff as werewolf soldiers usually were. All flaunted various colored pointed ears and tails while the rest of their body was covered in intimidating body armor.

There was a reason why our vault of fragile humans didn't want to face them on the battle field. 

I try my best to gulp down any sort of vulnerability but then he...

He walked in.

And I didn't just feel cold anymore, no. I was cold, inside and out. Any sense of warmth drained from me like I'm sure my color did from my face. 

I could just tell it was him. It was in the way he entered the room, his powerful aura radiating for miles to come.

He resembled the majority of the werewolves, a bit taller and just as buff, but his ears and tail were pitch-black like his eyes and well-trimmed hair, but with a splash of blood red on the tips, both bushy yet shiny. I almost didn't believe him real for a glorious second, as he was one of the most beautiful beings I'd ever seen. He seem sculpted by god with his tanned skin stretching over high cheekbones, a sharp nose, and a dangerous jawline. 

What wrapped it all together was his stare. Dark and menacing was the only way to describe it. His mouth ajar just enough to spot his canines. 

I suddenly feel my chest become tight—too tight. I can't breathe. My breaths are just the tiniest bit raspy as I stared at my future husband. I believe Katelyn noticed my impending panic attack because because she whispers my name in what I suppose is reassurance. But I don't answer, because in that very moment, his eyes find me.

An odd moment, it was. The way his dark gaze enraptured mine and held it firmly. I'm not sure how, but I didn't look away. I took a deep steadying breath to the best of my ability and held my ground. Despite my internalized shaping, I tilted my chin up. 

I could've sworn I saw the corner of his lip twitch.

Let's go, tough guy. 

But of course, my momentary bravery ended very quickly.

The werewolves halt their march about 10 meters in front of me, then they step to the side in sync to clear a path down the middle. For the Ultima, and a slightly shorter woman who shared his features. 

My guess was that she was the sister. 

And as one of the most powerful beings in our known existence paused just a step before me, as I looked up through our significant height gap...I wanted to crumple into a ball. Crumple into a small ball in a corner so i wouldn't have to endure this.

And then in the next second, as I stared into those eyes of black and death, I felt...resolve. I felt strength. I felt like I could do this.

And if it went wrong? If I somehow messed this up which I was very capable of? Ah well. What to do. 

And with a final gulp, I said. "If you would follow me."

Have a nice day my crystals!