14: Straight Like An Arrow

Start from the beginning

[Outside, Atenamal Regional High, 12:09 PM, Brail-Kebab]

BASIL: "Did you do the history homework?"

OSCAR: "No. Did you?"

BASIL: "No." (eating) "I seriously wonder when we're gonna stop learning about the American Civil War. That shit grew old in fifth grade. Oscar?"

OSCAR: (snapping out of it) "Yeah? Sorry. I spaced out."

BASIL: (looking where he had been staring) "Thinking about Mr Bender? Oh, great. Now he's coming over here. See what you did?"

[Enter Fender]

(Fender joins them at their picnic bench)

OSCAR: "Yes. Take a seat. You're entirely welcome to join us."

FENDER: "I thought - I can go, if you want..." (starts rewrapping his sandwich and getting up)

BASIL: "Sit, Fender. Lord Jesus. We're gutter rats as it is anyways. Hanging out with you won't make much of a difference."

FENDER: "Sorry."

BASIL: "My social status can't get much worse. I have nothing to lose. Oscar, on the other hand..."

OSCAR: "I'm worst than her, social-wise. She can crack a joke. All I do is force my socialist beliefs on unsuspecting students and eye-fuck Mr Goering."

BASIL: "It's good that you're here, Fender. That way I can grill you."

OSCAR: (intercepting) "Now, when you say grill, do you mean question-wise or barbecue-wise? I might be in the mood for a Brail-kebab."

BASIL: "One or the other, depending on the next move of our opponent." (stares down Fender, who looks from her to Oscar, scared and confused)

FENDER: "If you guys want me to go..."

OSCAR: "No, stay - "

FENDER: "Because I get it a lot. I get it. Usually I just eat in a dug-out, or something."

OSCAR: "You go way over there to eat?"

FENDER: (getting nervous) "I mean, where else? Riots are starting. People want me out of here."

OSCAR: "Well, yeah. I guess there's that."

FENDER: "Mr Wilks thinks I should graduate here, though. Great. Another two years of torture."

(...)

(...)

FENDER: (lifting himself from the bench again) "Sorry. I should really go."

OSCAR: "Fender. I talked to Abdul. He told me what happened at the party."

FENDER: "...Abdul?"

OSCAR: "Yes. Sit down. He told me everything. You were right, Fender, I'm sorry. And I'm sorry that happened to you. But you have to tell someone, before things start getting political."

FENDER: (confused) "Abdul told you what happened at the party? Abdul Trabelsi?"

BASIL: "That's what my boy just said, Mr Bender. Why do you look like that? We're on your side, here. You should be kissing our feet. I'd lift mine so you can reach it better, but... circumstances restrain me."

FENDER: (shaking his head) "Why would Abdul tell you? He wasn't at the party."

OSCAR: "What?"