Chapter 12: Back To The End

(Thomas' POV)

It had been three months in The Safe Haven, everyone was adjusting well. "Thomas!" I hear from behind me, I look to see Y/N. "What's up?" I ask her, "Vince needs us, come on!" She says before running back to the supplies tent. I follow her and see that Vince, Jorge, Brenda, and Minho are already there.

"Finally, we're all here!" Vince says looking at all of us, "what's the problem Vince?" I ask him, he stands up a little straighter before saying. "The last city, a couple days ago we sent a drone over the city. It picked up movement." I look at him confused, "okay. Couldn't it just be a bird or something?" Y/N says, I look to her and I can tell she doesn't wanna go back there.

"Actually, it wasn't. We have proof!" Vince says picking up a picture from behind me, he hands it to Y/N for her to see. I look at the picture from over her shoulder, and in the picture are three outlines of bodies. "What if they're cranks?" Minho asks to Vince, "then you have a new challenge. Some of the buildings are still standing, so there's a chance that there's more of the serum." Vince explains.

"Okay, when do we leave?" Brenda asks, "tomorrow." Vince answers, "pack what you need now. Jorge is gonna take you there." Vince explains before leaving.

~~Time Skip~~

I was surprised at how fast the day went by, it was already dark out and I was the only one awake. I decided to go and get a drink of water from the kitchen.

I walk in and see an untouched water bottle on the table, I grab it and gulp it down until I hear footsteps. I put the water down and walk out of the tent to see Brenda. "Brenda?" I say, but then I realize she's sleep walking. I sigh and lead her back to her hammock.

"Y/N" I hear her say in her sleep, I don't think much of it until..."crank." I stop in my tracks and look to Y/N. What did she mean by crank?

I lead Brenda back to her hammock and lay her down gently, before going back to my own I walk over to Y/N. I look at her up and down thinking of why Brenda said crank, but then I remember the bandaging on her leg. I slowly lift up her pant leg to reveal the bandage, I don't even have to remove the bandage to gasp and fall back.

Purple, green, and blue veins trailing up her leg. "Y/N..." I whisper looking at her infection, she begins to move and I quickly roll down her pant leg before running back to my hammock. 

(Your POV)

I wake up to a face right in front of me, "what do you want Minho." I say half asleep, "don't you remember? We have to leave in ten minutes!" He says walking off, I try to jog my memory from yesterday and remember that me, Minho, Brenda, Thomas, and Jorge were heading back to the last city. I quickly put on my boots and grab my backpack from underneath my hammock, I then rush to the kitchen tent, grab a piece of toast and run off to Jorge.

"So, what are we taking?" I ask him looking out to the sea, "last night me and Vince went back to the right arm to get the berg. So we'll be taking that!" He says, I nod and look around for the berg when I spot it on the other side of the trees.

~~Time Skip~~

"Everyone seated?" Jorge asks from the control room, "who needs to be seated?" Minho asks standing up with his arms crossed. I roll my eyes already knowing something is gonna go wrong, Jorge then lifts the berg off the ground making Minho move a little, and then Jorge blasts off making Minho fall to the floor.

Everyone begins to burst out laughing, "what are you laughing at?!" Minho says, clearly offended. I stop laughing when a sharp pain comes from my infected leg, I bite my lip and hold onto my leg. I look up to see Thomas staring at me, I quickly panic and run to a room in the berg that has a bed with medical supplies on a table.

I roll up my pant leg, take off the bandage, and see that the bite has only gotten worse. It's trailing up my leg, I lift up the bottom of my shirt to see light veins popping up. Great!

I sigh and plop onto the bed, I begin to get a headache and try to go to sleep but its no use. I notice a mirror on the table and I look into my eyes, black is already covering the E/C.

"Y/N?" I hear from outside the door, Thomas. I quickly look around the room and spot bandaging on the table, I sit on the bed and roll down the pant leg so the veins aren't that visible. I take off my bandage and throw it in the trash placing the new one on, "come in!" I say wrapping the bandage around my leg.

I can see Thomas move towards me but I keep focused on the wrapping, "how are you doing?" He asks, I finish wrapping my leg and look to face him, "great! I'm just great!" I say, obviously lying. I can see Thomas stare into my eyes so I look away, "Y/N. I know." He says, I begin to tense up, and anger rushes over me.

I stand up and turn to him, "how do you know? WHO TOLD YOU?!" I yell, he looks at me scared. "Thomas. Who. Told. You." I say forcefully, "Br--Brenda..." he says and I immediately bolt for the door. "Y/N wait!" He says grabbing my wrist pulling me back, "she was talking in her sleep! I got worried and went to check on you." He explains, I slowly move closer to Thomas, to the point he's cornered.

"So it's your fault, why didn't you just go back to bed? You don't have to worry about me, I'M FINE! AND I DON'T NEED YOU CHECKING ON ME EVERY FIVE MINUTES!" I yell at him, "Y/N..." he begins but I cut him off. "DO YOU HEAR ME? I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP THOMAS!" 

I begin to calm down and realize what I said..."Thomas, I---I'm sorry." I say backing away from him, he doesn't say anything. He just glares at me before leaving the small room. I begin to cry, I move to the bed and curl up into a little ball. And I cry more, and more, and more.

~~Time Skip~~

I had calmed down a lot, but I didn't want to see the faces of my closes friends, especially Thomas. I move to look out the single window in the room and see the last city off in the distance. I feel a big lump in my throat as I remember the events that had happened there.

I then hear my door open and look to see Brenda, I walk up to her and give her a hug. I pull away and sit on the bed facing her, "Brenda. It's getting worse." I say lifting up the bottom of my shirt, the veins darker now. "How long do you think I can last?" I ask her with tears beginning to form in my eyes. "I don't know Y/N, hopefully we can find the serum why we're in there." She says averting her eyes to the window.

I begin to fidget with my hands when I notice I've gotten a lot paler, and now I notice that it's really hot. "Is it hot in here or is it just me?" I ask putting my hair in a ponytail, Brenda feels my forehead and quickly moves her hand away. "Its just you, another effect of the virus." Brenda explains. I sigh and avert my eyes to the window as the last city comes closer.

"We should get back out there" she says moving to the door, I nod and follow her out the door and to the others. Everyone gives me worried glances, Minho gets up and walks to me. "Are you okay?" He asks holding my arm, I nod and take a seat next to Brenda.

~~Time Skip~~

I can feel the berg safely land, I turn to look out the window and see we landed in the last city. I take a gun out my bag, prepared for what could be out there.

Everyone moves to be in front of the hatch, the hatch slowly opens to reveal tons of buildings burned down. Once I get out I'm able to get a clear view of the city, some buildings are burnt to a crisp while others still stand. Jorge comes out of the berg with a map and the picture that Vince had showed us.

"We need to head this way" he says pointing directly in front of us. I put my gun to my side and walk next to Brenda as we look at the city. Every memory I had here pops into my mind, I look down a street and I'm able to get a glimpse of what used to be WICKED's headquarters. The small pool is still there which reminds me of when I jumped out the window. I nudge Thomas in the arm and point the pool, "I was brave enough to jump first!" I say. Thomas laughs it off and continues to walk. 

~~Time Skip~~

"Are we there yet?" I ask tired of walking, "not yet. Twelve more blocks to go!" Jorge responds, twelve, what a specific number. I look up and see the sun right above us in the middle of the sky, "can we at least stop for lunch?" I ask, Jorge stops to look up. "Alright, I guess we could." He says going on the sidewalk.

I happily eat the sandwich I packed, enjoying the taste of food. But then I hear something off in the distance, a familiar voice saying my name. Newt?