Chapter 5: A New Problem

(Newt's POV)

Gally leads us down a level talking about how he got saved and a guy named Lawrence. We soon come to a halt when Gally stops and turns to us, "let me do all the talking. Lawrence doesn't get a lot of visitors." 

I look at him with a confused look before following him and the rest of the crew into a room, there were couches to the right of us, a staircase to the left, and in front was a garden. The only thing that seemed to grow were roses, and near the roses was a man with his back turned to us. He was hooked up to a machine that was giving him some type of fluid.

"Gally. I'm surprised you made it back, I heard what happened." The man says not even bothering to look, "it was a slaughter, nothing we could do against those guns." Gally says back to him. I'm now assuming this guy is Lawrence, "no, but they can only poke a hornets nest so long, before they get stung." Lawrence says lifting up a rose and sniffing it, I then notice that he as no nose.

"And who are these people? Why are they here?" Lawrence questions still not looking at us, "we need to get into WICKED" Tommy says stepping up next to Gally, "you guys say you can get us through the walls."

Lawrence finally turns to us but the sun from behind him blocks his face, "Gally should know to not make promises he can't keep." Lawrence says, I look to Gally and see a look of disappointment on his face. "Besides, that wall is only half of your problems. Getting inside WICKED is impossible." Lawrence says stepping towards us bringing his machine with him, "there might me a way now. But it doesn't work without Thomas." Gally says making Lawrence's attention turn to Thomas.

"Is that so?" Lawrence says stepping out of the light, he's a crank. "You know what I am, Thomas?" Lawrence steps closer to Tommy getting right in his face, but I can't hear what he's saying now. I'm too far away. 

Tommy and Gally walk over to me, "Newt we need you to come with us." Tommy says, I look to him and then to Gally. I nod before sitting on a box watching Gally take the top of a sewer entrance. I dare not to look down there, but since I was going I began to prepare.

I begin to tuck my pants into my boots when I notice something on my right arm, I roll up the sleeve only to reveal dark purple veins, dark green veins, and dark blue veins, trailing up my arm. Bloody hell, how the shuck did this even happen?

I quickly roll down my sleeve and stand up next to Tommy who is watching Gally go down into the sewer, Tommy follows after him, and once it's my turn I gulp regretting my choices and head down. 

We walked for about a minute or so and the water was just getting mushy, "ugh. This is gross." I say trying not to gag, I then look up to see lights hanging on the wall of the sewer. At least we have some light, I look back down into the sewer water and its more disgusting than I thought.

~~Time Skip~~

After the horrifying experience, we make our way into the streets of the last city. People are in a rush, some of them have masks on, I'm guessing trying to protect themselves from the virus. And then I'm suddenly reminded of what's trailing up my right arm, will I make it to see Y/N? 

We walk up a staircase that leads to a grand view of the city, I look at it stunned. "I know it's new, but act like you've seen it before." Gally says looking back to us and then heading down the staircase, I look to Tommy and follow Gally's lead. 

Street after street, after street, after street. We come to a wall that we apparently have to climb, "come on Newt." Gally says, I look down to him and see him with his hands cupped so I can climb up. I put my bad leg on his hand and force myself up with my good one, I notice Gally offers Tommy some help but he denies.

~~Time Skip~~

We walk up the stairs of a building along the walls of the city, we eventually reach the balcony where we get an even better view of the city. And right across from us is WICKED's headquarters, it's a tall building. It seems impossible to find Y/N or Minho. 

Gally then breaks my gaze when he sets up a telescope facing WICKED's headquarters, he looks into it and then backs up and looks to Tommy. "Take a look" he says, Tommy looks to me and I nod. As he looks into it I wonder what he's seeing, is it Y/N? Is it Minho? Is it Teresa? 

Tommy quickly looks up from the telescope staring at WICKED's headquarters, "I told you that you weren't gonna like it." Gally says making me more confused, I look to Tommy, "what is it?" I ask him. Tommy breaks his gaze from their headquarters and turns to me, "it's Teresa." He says, I move closer to him, "was Y/N there?" I ask, he looks back to their headquarters and then back to me. "The door had opened just before I looked away, but I wasn't able to see who it was." He says.

I immediately look through the telescope. I see Teresa, and across the room from her is Y/N. She has WICKED guards guarding her, she looks like she hasn't ate in a while, looks like she hasn't slept, she just looks terrible. But something is off, she's not even trying to fight Teresa. And after her betrayal Y/N was really mad. I look up from the telescope and straight to Tommy.

"Y/N's there. And somethings wrong." Tommy and Gally give me a confused look, "Newt what do you mean?" Tommy asks looking to their headquarters, "you remember how mad Y/N was after Teresa's betrayal?" He nods, "well she's not even trying to fight her. And she looks extremely weak like they've been torturing her ever since she got here!" I yell, Tommy looks to me a bit shocked.

I feel my right arm begin to get covered in pain, I hold it and say. "Let's go back." Gally nods and I follow him out eager to get back. 

~~Time Skip~~

Once back everyone surrounds us asking tons of questions, Gally calms them down and suggests we head to bed. He points down a hallway saying some extra rooms are down there, and then he just leaves us alone. "I don't know about you guys but I'm beat!" Fry says walking down the hall and into a room, and soon enough everyone is gone except me and Tommy. 

"You okay?" I hear him ask, I turn to him. "Yeah I'm fine." I say telling the biggest lie in the world, "well I just wanted to see how you were doing after seeing Y/N. The way you described her made me worry a lot." He says putting an arm on my shoulder. "Thanks Tommy." I say before walking down the hall and into an empty room.

I plop down onto the dirty but comfortable mattress and I immediately head to sleep.

I wake up to a starry sky, the sand below is so soft and coldness of the night is a great way to escape the heat of the day. I sit up and I feel like I'm not myself, I quickly remember my right arm, I roll up the sleeve and see that it's gotten a lot worse. I can feel the veins bulging out of my cheeks, I begin to get really sweaty, and I start to cough up some weird black ooze. 

"Newt?" I hear a familiar voice say from in front of me, I stand up and see Y/N standing there with a horrific expression on her face. I want to calm her down, I want to feel those bloody lips again, but I can't. The virus has fully consumed me, and I charge. She immediately runs the other way screaming bloody murder, I run after her faster than any human could. 

I get close enough and tackle her to the ground, I turn her so she's facing me. The look on her face wants me to stop, but the virus doesn't. I claw at her, leaving wounds open with blood spilling out of them. She screams in pain but no one is here to rescue her, I continue to claw at her to the point where I see bone. And everything calms down.

The urge to kill her goes away, my veins on my arm disappear back into my skin, and my breathing slows. I look back to Y/N to see barely any life in her eyes, "Y/N?" I say to her, she's breathing faster than ever before and places her hand on my cheek.

"Why?" Is all she can say before her hand falls onto the sand, and her eyes go back into her head, and her breathing stops. "No, no, no, no, Y/N!" I yell shaking her with tears beginning to fall out of my eyes. "No come on! I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" I yell still shaking her, but it's no use.

She's gone.