Chapter Ten

November 1, 2022. 10 pm

With an enraged cry I knocked Marco down to the floor. That bought me enough time to pick up Coco and drag Miguel away. I entered the first open building, locking the door behind me. To my dismay, Miguel's head was bleeding badly, and it left a trail of red leading right to us.

I double checked to make sure the door was locked. I switched off all of the lights and closed the blinds.

It sort of felt like a school lockdown drill. I untied Coco and sat her on a chair.

"Don't look." I instructed her. I didn't want her to see Miguel's injury. I turned to face my unconscious boyfriend. I instantly felt the worry return to me as the adrenaline rush I previously felt ended, leaving me with a hangover like feeling.

I sucked in a deep breath, preparing for the worst. I peeled off his hood, and looked down. I gasped in shock.

It was much worse than expected. Let's just say I almost threw up. I heard Coco begin crying from behind me. Then she violently vomited on the floor beside the chair.

"I'm sorry, Mama! I looked!" She sobbed, rubbing her eyes. I sighed, not in the mood for discipline. I ruffled her hair, giving her a fake smile.

"You're not in trouble, mija." I soothed, and hugged her close. "Keep your eyes closed now." I turned back to the gory site, no matter how much I didn't want to. I ripped off cloth from my dress, leaving part of it short and ragged. I wrapped it around his head.

Even though it looked super weird it didn't really matter. I cradled his smashed head in my arms. Red was already seeping through the cloth. I tore more cloth from my dress, tenderly putting it to the head. I applied a small amount of pressure, scared to hurt him even more.

It was official.

I hate Marco. I loathe him.

I despise him.

Coco and I hugged each other tight, watching Miguel. I put my head to his chest.

To my relief there was a faint rise and fall to his chest, and his heartbeat was somewhat steady.

With each unsteady beat of his heart, I slowly felt my hope of getting home diminish. If we do get home... Will Miguel even survive the night?

I slowly drifted off into a deep sleep, Coco beside me.

-

November 2, 2022.  5 am

I awoke with a start.

I had forgotten we had to get home before sunrise! I turned to my right. Coco was awake, her eyes trained on the sleeping Miguel in my arms. I had slept for quite a few hours. We only had about an hour before the sun would rise.

We had to find Papa so he could send us home. I carefully put Miguel over my shoulder. Luckily he was as skinny as a twig and barely made me sweat. I held onto him for dear life with one hand, and held Coco's hand with my free one. She opened the door and we left.

I found Papa sitting were we had left him. We embraced quickly, and I explained what happened to Miguel. He grabbed a petal and gave me the blessing to go home and put up his picture.

Orange enveloped my vision.

I was finally back home.

I started crying tears of joy, hugging Coco tightly. She wrapped her tiny arms around me. She stroked my hair gently.

"I love you, Mama." She whispered in my hair.

"I love you too." I murmured. "Now let's get Papa to the hospital."

-

November 2, 2022. 10 pm

Beep...Beep...Beep........Beep...Beep.................Beeeeeeep...Beep...

Each beep made me more and more nervous. Around me was Miguel's sleeping family members. I say beside his hospital bed, my cheeks warm with tears. My face was shoved in the blanket, my hand gripping his hand.

"Please wake up... Please." I whispered to no one in particular.

-

December 24, 2022. 9 pm
Miguel

My eyes fluttered open. The first sound I heard was beeping. Was I in a hospital? I winced as a cry joy rang through my ears. As my eyes adjusted my surrounding came into view. I spoke, but my voice was weak.

"Who are you people?"