Chapter Five

March 15, 2019. 3 pm

I was still getting used to life back home. The reunion with Mama and Vero included lots of tears. The school gave me a week off because of my... Ordeal. Oh! And the police arrested the man, which it turns out his name was Marco De La Cruz. Like great-great grandpa like great-great grandson I guess. Miguel told me all about his adventures in the Land of the Dead on one of my visits to the hospital.

I visit Miguel with d/n everyday in the hospital for as long as I can. He's doing well, despite having a painful stab wound. Luckily he didn't get an infection.

Right now I'm in the hospital room, and d/n is on my lap. Miguel and I are just talking about random things. D/n started talking. She only knows a few words, and is a bit slower than the average 2 year old. That's probably a result from the captivity. She knows basics like Mama, Abuela, Tia Vero, and 'Hi I'm d/n! '.

She started stretching out her arms towards Miguel who was smiling at her.

"I think she wants you to hold her." I giggled lightly, passing her over to him. Miguel sat up and rocked her in his arms.

"She so cute." He whispered, letting her wrap her little hand around his finger. He was so gentle with her, it just melted my heart. He smiled tenderly as d/n opened her mouth to speak.

"Papa." She gurgled, laughing. "Papa!" She repeated, pointing at him. My mouth opened in shock. Miguel started blushing and he looked just as shocked as me. My face felt like it was on fire and Miguel turned to stare at me. "Papa! Papa, Papa!" With each time she said it I got more embarrassed.

"I am so so so sorry Miguel." I quickly apologized, standing up to grab d/n.

"It's fine, I don't mind." He scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. "I kind of like it actually.." He muttered the last part, giving me a cheeky grin. I laughed warmly.

"Smooth." I raised my eyebrows at him. I sat next to his bed.

"I know." He wiggled his eyebrows. This made me laugh again. I leaned in towards him, and he did the same. Our eyes locked and I start to feel shy. He reached a hand out and tucked some of my hair behind my ear. I blushed at the intimate gesture. I instinctively closed my eyes. I kept leaning in closer until... I heard the door open. Miguel pulled away and I immediately jumped up and scrambled away.

"Hello Mrs. Rivera. Visiting time is up." A nurse said, confusing me for his wife. Miguel turned red instantly, and I'm sure my face looked the same.

"No no n-no, I'm just his friend." I stuttered out, cringing in embarrassment.

"Oh, my apologies." The nurse cringed too. I grabbed d/n left the room, a lovestruck smile plastered on my face. I felt dazed with love.

"I wouldn't mind being Mrs. Rivera." I whispered to myself, watching d/n play with my hair. "I wouldn't mind being his, and him being mine."

-

March 24, 2019. 9 am

Miguel was finally being discharged from the hospital. I was absolutely ecstatic, and he was too. Things were a little awkward between us, but I tried to ignore it. Our relationship has really blossomed. I'm pretty sure he knew I liked him though.

I arrived at the hospital, d/n with me. Miguel's eyes lit up when he saw us. He ran to us and wrapped his arms around me and d/n.

"Papa! Papa! Papa!" D/n yelled excitedly. We had just grown used to her calling Miguel Papa, because she's a stubborn little girl. Miguel held her up, laughing.

"Hi, my little Coco!" He cooed, nuzzling her. He had called her that once, and the nickname just stuck.

"Who's daughter is she? Jeez." I joked, happy the two got along.

"Ours...?" He played along. Even though I knew it was a joke I still blushed. I did have a huge crush on him after all.

"You wish." I playfully punched his arm. He sent me a wink.

"Jeez stop flirting in front of my poor eyes!" I heard my sister exclaim, covering her eyes.

"Joining the family reunion, I see. D/n, say hi to Tia Vero!" I passed her to Vero.

"Oh hola my little niece!" Vero stroked d/n's hair.

"Miguel!" I heard his mother cry out. "I'm so happy to see you out in the fresh air." Miguel groaned, covering his face with his hand. Knowing him, he was preparing for the worst. His mama charged towards him, enveloping him in a big hug. She peppered his face in kisses. "I love you mijo!"

"Love you too Mama." He wiped his face in embarrassment. I giggled a little bit at this. He gagged dramatically, glancing over to ensure that I had laughed at the action.

"What sweet young love!" His abuelita swooned, staring directly at us. "They look like a little family." She was referring to Miguel, d/n, and I.

"Uhm.." Miguel let out incoherent sounds, blushing. "Sorry about my familia." He whispered in my ear.

"It's fine." I whispered back.

We really did look like a happy family.