Chapter Seven

November 1, 2022. 6 pm
Miguel

I paced around, really shocked. I couldn't even believe I was back. I thought I'd only ever see the Land of the Dead again when I was dead.

"Y/n. Do you know of any family?"

"Yeah, on my mama's side." I answered, confused why he needed this information.

"We need to get one of your dead relative's blessing. I know it sounds crazy but just trust me." I explained. "Take me to your family's ofrenda."

She took my hand and then D/n's. She started waking in the direction of her house. I was pulled backwards by something tugging on my sleeve. At me feet was Dante!

"No, Dante. The ofrenda is this way." I spoke, tugging my sleeve back out of his grasp. The dog just continued trying to pull me.

"Isn't Dante your spirit guide? Maybe we should follow him." She suggested.

"I guess we could try it." Dante starting rushing towards the bridges of orange petals.

"Woah!" Y/n looked up at the gorgeous sites of the Land of the Dead. I gave d/n piggy back ride because she said she was tired of walking. My hood was up to cover my face from the surrounding eyes. "There's my great aunt!" She ran towards the check out thing.

-

November 1, 2022. 6 pm

I see in front of a weird booth thing.

"Tia Diana? Tia Diana!" I yelled, trying to get her attention. She turned around to see me.

"Y/n? Oh it's really you, mija!" She enveloped me in a hug.

"Y/n, slow... Down." Came my boyfriend's voice from behind me.

"Who's this?" Diana gave Miguel an icy glare. "Oh and this is little d/n!" She cooed at my daughter.

"That's my boyfriend, Miguel." I motioned to the boy who was standing beside me awkwardly.

"Is he the father?" I shook my head. "Thank God for that."

"Anyways, I need your blessing to go home." I got to the point, finally.

"Of course! Come inside." She ushered the three of us inside. "I'm watching you, pretty boy." I heard her mutter to Miguel.

"So, you just pick up a petal, say her name, and say that you give her your blessing to go home." He explained to her. Diana picked up a petal and held it out.

"Y/n. I give you my blessing," She paused, watching the petal light up, "to go home... And to stay away from Miguel." She finished. My jaw dropped.

"She can't do that, can she?"

"Technically she can." He answered. I groaned, annoyed. That is not gonna happen, sorry Diana.

"Fine." I took the petal and everything was orange for a second. The three of us were back under the tree. "You know I can't stay away from you, Miguel." I said quietly.

I walked towards him and I put a hand to his face. We both leaned in until our lips met.

"Ew!" I heard d/n squeal in disgust. When I opened my eyes again we were back with Diana.

"It hasn't even been five seconds and you already break your promise." Diana groaned. I simply shrugged.

"It's not my fault he's irresistible." As I spoke, Miguel wiggled his eyebrows at me. I rolled my eyes. "You're so immature." I whispered to him.

"Well, it's my blessing or no blessing. The rest of the family is at the ofrenda. And those guards won't let you back through." Diana insisted.

"Hehehe... Guess we gotta run then!" I grabbed Miguel's hand and tugged him out of the room. D/n was still being carried by him. I dragged him all the way until we were hiding underneath a staircase.

"Attention! Be on the look out for three living children! Two girls and one boy!" The message came from a crackling speaker.

"Crud!" I sighed, rather annoyed.

"Language!" Miguel scolded, nodding in d/n's direction. I rolled my eyes. "We can paint our faces to look like skeletons with the shoe polish I have." He spoke very gently.

After a while all three of us had skeleton 'face paint'. I let my hair cover any other patches of skin on my neck. Miguel just pulled up his hood. The three of us held hands so we didn't lose each other in the crowds.

I couldn't believe this.