Chapter Two

October 30, 2016. Just after school got out.
Miguel

I hadn't seen Y/n at school the whole day. I assumed she was sick, so I decided I would visit her after school got out and see how she was doing. I walked to her house, which luckily was closer to school than mine.

I knocked softly on the door, my heart beginning to pound. The door opened. There stood Y/n's older sister, Veronica. She gave me a slight smile and peaked over my shoulder.

"Is Y/n with you?" Veronica asked, still looking.

"No, I thought she was sick at home." I answered, confused. By this statement she started to get confused as well.

"Wait, so she wasn't at school?" She questioned. My heart dropped as I shook my head. "She's not at home either... Let's call some of her other friend's houses. Maybe she went there." She suggested, though Y/n would never skip school like that.

Veronica called several houses, but Y/n wasn't in any of them.

A couple hours later of waiting and she still wasn't home.

The door opened, which startled us. Her mom was home. Veronica quietly explained the news to her mom. Their mom dropped the bag of groceries she was holding on the ground in shock. I watched an apple roll across the floor, and I could feel my eyes begin to water.

I began to think of the worst. What if she was kidnapped? Murdered? I stared right at the apple as tears started to build up. I quickly ran out of the open door. I ran through the streets and right to the statue of Ernesto De La Cruz in the plaza. Nobody was around as I laid my head on the concrete of the statue and began to cry.

-

October 31, 2016. 8 am.
Miguel

"Hey, hey. Boy, wake up!" Someone was shaking me. I felt concrete underneath my head. I blinked open my eyes and looked up. I fell asleep on the statue. I looked over at the person who woke me up. It was a man that I didn't recognize. I didn't know it at the time, but he's an evil man.

I jumped up. School! I had forgotten, and now I was gonna be late.

"School has been cancelled because of missing girl." He said, as if reading my mind. I noticed a small smirk on his face. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I'm going home now." I stood up and felt a familiar lump in my throat at the reminder of Y/n. I went back home to the shop.

As soon as I entered I heard my mother's voice.

"Oh, Miguel! We were so worried. Especially since Y/n..." She cooed as she wrapped her arms around me. I pushed her away in anger.

"Leave me alone!" I barked as I went to my room. I looked out and stared at Dante from inside. He was raiding a trash can for food.

October 31, 2016. 5 pm.

"Miguel!" I heard my mama call for me. I ignored it and shoved my face into my pillow. "It's the police." I began to panic and I ran out of my room.

"I didn't do anything to Y/n!" I yelled immediately. All was silent as I began to get embarrassed.

"We're not accusing you of anything, we're just here to ask some questions to help the case.

I took a seat on the couch and glanced around. My Mama Coco was rocking in her chair, my Abuelita was making food, and my parents were sitting next to me. Across from us was two police officers. Soon they started questioning me.

"You were one of her closest friends?"

"Yes."

"Did she ever talk about running away?"

"No. She was happy here." I started to get choked up.

"Did she express suicidal tendencies?"

"Never."

"Did she often go missing and turn up safe?"

"No! She's never been missing before."

"Did you see her at all that day?"

"No... Not at all." My gaze casted downwards as tears started to drip down my face. Papa placed a comforting hand on my back.

"That's all for today." The police officers left.

"I'll do whatever it takes to find you Y/n." I whispered. "Whatever it takes."