Chapter 12: "Stark, If we don't make it back-"

Now Playing: I Bet My Life: Imagine Dragons

So I, I bet my life, I bet my life

I bet my life for you

I, I bet my life, I bet my life

I bet my life for you

"Abso-fucking-lutely not." Stephen had uncrossed his arms and was staring at her with -was that fear in his eyes? No, Stephen Strange was not afraid.

"'Xcuse me?" It was Iris's turn to cross her arms, taking on a defensive stance.

"You've risked your life too many times today. Too many."

"And you haven't?"

"It's my job."

"Who's got the airtight suite here?"

"Just because Stark has one doesn't mean you do." Iris turned to Tony.

"Well?" He winced.

"All the suites I make are airtight." Stephen threw up his hands.

"You almost just died ten minutes ago."

"That wasn't my fault." His voice lowered. 

"But this could be." Stephen's eyes shone with something Iris hadn't seen in a long time: tears. Without losing eye contact with Strange, Iris spoke to Stark.

"How do we get out there?" Stephen's shoulders sagged, as though she'd just added forty pounds of weight to them. Iris winced internally. Stark cleared his throat.

"There's an airlock close by. Once we got there, it's about thirty seconds to the damage point." Iris did the math.

"So you -we -have two minutes to do what we need, yes?" Stark nodded and gestured to Quill.

"I need someone to say up here. When we're done and back inside, you need to get us out of here. This ship's big enough to punch through those ones without taking critical damage. This thing is on autopilot, once we've given the all clear, it should keep going to where ever it's going. Hopefully not here." Quill gave him a salute, and turned around, whispering to his group. Tony pointed to Parker and Strange. "You two, come with us. I need someone to man the airlock controls." Strange pointed to Spider-boy.

"Why can't he go out instead?" Stephen looked pained like he couldn't decide who to send out in space: an eighteen-year-old boy, or the one he loved. Iris walked forward and placed a hand on his chest.

"Stephen, the kid is eighteen. He's still got a family and friends and a life ahead of him."

"So do you." Strange's voice was quiet, desperate. Iris smiled sadly.

"I've lived, I've done all the things I've wanted to do, met all the people I've wanted to meet. Though if I could meet Tom Hiddleston-"

"-Then stay here so you can meet Tom-what's-his-face." Iris laughed.

"In my dreams, maybe. Stark, let's go." Tony looked between them with his eye's, like he was making sure Stephen wasn't going to pounce and duck-tape Iris to the floor. He gestured for them to follow, grabbed Spider-boy's wrist, and walked ahead of them.

Iris paused and reached for Stephen's hand. "Come on." She walked forward, "Let's go." She could've sworn his hand was shaking as she followed Tony.