fifty two

쉰두

Jeongguk's PoV;

"What are you thinking about?" Taehyung asked softly, voice gentle as he watched me lean on the dreary balcony, smoke diffusing from the stick that was nipped between my fingers.

--------- F L A S H B A C K --------

"And this is Jay." JinJin introduced me to the man sat up against the bonnet of an expensive sports car.

I, a shy and small 15 year old, felt rather intimidated by the man before me. 

Standing at a meek height of approximately 5'6 (though I insisted I was 5'8), I shakily reached my hand out to the man.

Jay stood up, standing tall (short, 5'7 as I would come to find out later) and confident. With a cigarette perched between his lips, the bottom tissue cut and split, he spoke through a deep husk of a voice, "Jay."

"J-jeongguk." I stuttered, feeling like my small hand was about to snap in his tight grip, my fingers trapped in his calloused palm.

I wasn't sure what made me feel the most intimidated: the vast variety of permanent ink etched onto his skin, or the numerous injuries that the man obtained.

Black hair was gelled and brushed out of his face, small golden hoops dangling from his ears and lots of silver rings on his fingers.

"He looks like a bunny." Jay frowned, "how old is this kid?"

I wanted to insist that I was not a kid, wanted to show that I was tough and strong - but I knew it wasn't true.

I was a kid. A child.

I wasn't tough or strong, I was weak. Malnourished, anxious and paranoid.

"Fifteen." JinJin sighed, "I don't know, man. I can feel potential, you know? I feel that he's gonna be great and an amazing addition."

"I can feel that you've smoked too much weed." Jay snorted, quickly widening his eyes once he caught sight of me again, "ah shi- shoot. Sorry."

"He isn't a child. Yes, he's of that age but he isn't immature." JinJin replied, "he's not as innocent as he seems."

"What do you mean?" Jay asked.

"Kid's been kicked out of school."

"For?"

"Fighting. Though, bad behaviour in general." JinJin replied, face stoic whilst Jay laughed.

"Really? This little twink?"

"Jay!"

"What?"

"What's a twink?" I asked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

T W O YEARS LATER - A FEW DAYS AFTER JEONGGUK'S 17TH BIRTHDAY.

"Jeongguk!" Jay yelled.

"Mm?" I asked, rushing to his side.

"You need to start training."

"Why?" I asked, slightly sad that I wasn't allowed to stay at home.

"As much as I enjoy being with you, I can't just keep you here. You need to start your assassin's training."

"I don't wanna." I said, my lips turning downwards into a displeased pout.

"I know." He sighed, "I know it's scary, bun, but I'll be there. I'm always gonna be there."