thirty one

삼십일

Taehyung's PoV;

"Boy, you got it real bad." Jimin said, watching as my eyes teared up, a tub of ice cream in one hand and his blanket in the other.

"Yeah, no shit." I sighed, rubbing my eyes with the backs of my hands.

"You know, only you would have a soulmate who's an assassin and a drug dealer. Not to mention the fact that he has purple eyes." He replied.

"Jimin, I love you, I really do, but you're genuinely making the situation worse." Yoongi said, offering a cautious pat to my shoulder before he sat down next to me on the sofa.

"Well, what am I supposed to do? He's fallen in love with an assassin, I'm not exactly going to be accepting, am I?"

"He's more than an assassin, Jimin, he's his soulmate. And whether or not Taehyung chooses to stay with him, is entirely up to him and we can't influence his decision, kitten. The only thing we can do is sit and listen." Yoongi spoke in a calm and slow tone, Jimin listening as he passed me the ice cream and sat beside Yoongi, the blanket covering all of our legs as we sat opposite the television.

"So, what happened in art? Did he sit next to you?" Jimin asked.

"Uh, yeah." I sniffled, "basically..."

----------------------FLASHBACK TO EARLIER TODAY!!----------------------

Trudging into art, I prepared myself for the weekly rant about how she's gonna fail me if I don't finish these pieces in the tiny time frame.

I walked in, hearing her voice call my name and beckon me over with a lazy hand.

"Hm?" I replied, ready to nod and pull faces to pretend I was interested in her 'constructive criticism.'

"I was looking at your art book earlier." She began.

Here it is.

Here's the failing grade.

"And I've decided to bump your grade up to an A. Your artwork is extremely good and I didn't seem to pick up on the immense amount of effort." She said, "especially the rose-scented pages, very creative."

I looked at her in disbelief, am I hearing this right?

An A?

I tried to hide the huge smile that made its way onto my face, covering up my joy with a quick cough.

"Thanks, miss. I appreciate it." I replied in a way that showed I was grateful without being weird about it.

She smiled a small smile, her pink painted lips revealing the slightest slither of white and straight teeth before she beckoned me to go sit down.

I walked to my table, absentmindedly skipping in my steps.

An A?

I can't wait to tell Jeongguk!

He's going to be so happy.

Finally after all the effort that w-

Wait.

I'm supposed to be mad at him.

I am mad at him.

He's a fucking assassin and he doesn't want to be with me.

He's messing with my feelings.

Nope.

No.

Avoid that negativity.

Remember Taemin's words: "avoid anyone who makes you feel excited and angry at the same time."

I didn't understand him before, but now I do.

I kept my head down as he walked in, praying he wouldn't sit down near me.

He walked up to miss, quietly exchanging a few words with her - words that I could not catch - before making his way to my table.

He pulled the chair out, laying his book down quietly and coughing to get my attention.

I looked up, pretending to not have seen him walk in.

Pretending not to notice how good he looked in those blue je-

Taehyung! 

Mentally scolding myself for getting distracted, I flicked my hair from eyes and looked into his green ones, noticing how the fake iris was a darker green than he normally wore. I saw the cut on his lower lip, the tissue crimson and slightly swollen, matching his fresh black eye that I chose to ignore. 

"Can we talk?" He asked.

"There's nothing to talk about." I replied, "you're using my feelings to an advantage for your job. That's it. There's nothing to it."

"Taehyung, you know that that's not true. As I previously told you, I like you but I'm not emotionally ready enough for a relationship." He said, wringing out his cut and bruised hands, "plus, if I hated you, would I accept a beating from my boss due to a refusal to kill you?"

"Jeongguk, don't use your job to fabricate a lie, I'm not stupid. You've established that you're not interested, so how about leaving my heart and feelings alone, yeah?" I replied, my voice cold, "show me that you're not totally heartless."

Perhaps I was overreacting.

I was heartbroken though.

Imagine finding your soulmate after so long of believing that you don't have one; he's funny, sweet, romantic, handsome and basically everything you could ever want.

And then you find out that he's not interested in love.

And he's an assassin.

Safe to say, I was not the happiest person in the room right now.

"Petal, please, listen to me." He begged, his art book and pencils discarded as he stared desperately into my eyes, "what will it take to show you that I truly do want to be with you?"

I melted at the pet name, almost allowing myself to become soft as I saw how whipped he was for me.

"I want your truth."

"I can't give you that yet."

"I want nothing then. Leave me be."

He sighed, packing his stuff into his bag.

"I give up. You can't say that I didn't try." He pulled the bag onto his shoulder, resting his sunglasses on the bridge of his nose, pulling a sad smile before he turned.

Ignoring the teacher's questioning as he left the room, he continued to walk out and minutes later I heard his voice calling out Taeyong's through the phone.

"What was that about, Kim?" The teacher came over to me and asked, gesturing to Jeongguk's departure.

"I'm not sure. Either the best thing I've ever done or the greatest mistake." I replied, my eyes blurred as I realised that I just allowed my soulmate to walk away from me whilst I was in a state of moodiness.

Fuck.