forty nine

사십구

Taehyung's PoV;

I opened the door to see Jeong-ja, mascara smudged under her wide eyes and her lips chapped and bare of lipstick, not looking how she usually would - which was prim and proper, everything perfect from her hair to the outfit she wore.

She stood, looking small, in leggings and a sweatshirt.

Her hair, which was normally straightened and brought to her shoulders in a neat drop, was thrown up into a bun, short and long strands sticking out from everywhere.

"Hey." I began, "do you want to come in?"

Sniffling, she nodded.

"I-is Jeongguk in?" She stuttered, clutching her sweater between nimble fingers, the scarlet nail varnish chipped and revealing slithers of natural nail.

"Yeah, he's asleep upstairs." I smiled warmly, hoping to cheer her up somehow, "okay, you go sit down and I'll bring him to you."

She nodded again, stepping through the doorway.

Kicking off scuffed trainers (a change from the tall stilettos she usually wore), she curled up on the armchair, which was draped with a soft blanket with patterns of penguins on (a purchase from a pleased Jeongguk).

"Feel free to help yourself to anything." I said, feeling a little awkward, "uh, watch the television if you'd like?"

I stepped away, scared of upsetting the fragile woman further.

I didn't know what was the matter.

For all I knew, she could be on her period.

Which I wouldn't belittle her for, from what I've heard, women fucking suffer with those and I wasn't about to tell her just to take some painkillers.

She needed sleep, blankets, chocolate and everything good in the world.

"Y-you can talk to Yeontan, if you'd like." I stammered, stuck when more tears suddenly started to roll down her face.

I plucked the dog from his cage, the fluffball immediately squirming in my grasp and attempting to nip my hands.

"Ouch, you prick." I hissed at the dog, who now favoured Jeongguk more than me (evident by the way Jeongguk would get 'hello' kisses and I'd get growls, god forbid I looked at Jeongguk).

Yeontan either didn't know she was upset or didn't care, as he jumped up beside her and snuggled into her side. His face immediately became one of disgust as she sniffled, shaking his head and jumping down.

Leaving the woman and the dog to do what they pleased, I ran upstairs.

Jeongguk wasn't going to be awake.

It was 7:52AM.

He normally didn't awake from his slumber until 10:00AM, if we were lucky.

Patting his side as I stood beside him, I whispered his name.

As expected, there was no response. He merely exhaled.

I crouched beside the bed, my face right before his.

I blew softly at his nose, smiling at the cute twitch that occurred as a result, which seemed adorable up until I realised that he probably couldn't breathe.

I didn't want to wake him up, he had a long day yesterday. He spent the full day exercising. Push ups, sit ups, running, practicing his kicks, punching, everything.

I wasn't sure if doing a running handstand counted as exercise, but was I the expert? 

I definitely knew that picking me up and carrying me wasn't exercise, but it was cute.

I poked at his tummy, noticing how the muscles tensed as soon as my fingertip made contact, causing me to flinch at the strange feeling.

I carried on poking at his tummy, hip, chest and even neck at one point. But no response.

"Jeongguk." I whined, standing up.

I sat on his belly, leaning my head down to rest on his collarbone.

I kissed the bottom of his lips softly, pressing butterfly kisses to the swell of the pink tissue.

Silently giggling at the way he pressed his lips together, trying to diffuse the feeling of the tickling sensation.

I stayed, enjoying the cuddle until I realised that shit, his sister was downstairs sobbing her heart out, stuck with my annoying fluff of a dog.

 "Taehyung." He mumbled, eyes half open, "it's like six in the morning."

Thank.

The.

Fucking.

Lords.

He woke up.

"Uh, it's actually nearly eight."

"I remain uncorrected."

His eyes fluttered shut again, arms wrapping around my waist sleepily.

"Don't go back to sleep."

"Why?"

"Jeong-ja." I stopped, accidentally inhaling his scent (which smelt like strawberries, as a result of his hair conditioner, and lavender), "she's downstairs crying."

"Ugh, for fuck's sake. If it's Jiwook, I swear."

"He's dead."

"Oh shit."

Jeongguk removed his arms from around me, hurriedly getting out of bed whilst patting down his messy morning hair. 

He padded down the stairs, myself hot on his trails as we made our way to the living room.

"Hey, sweet, what's the matter?" He asked, immediately kneeling before her curled up position.

She answered with a sob and a sniffle, Jeongguk's large hands engulfing hers as he rubbed his thumbs over her dainty knuckles.

"M-mother." She cried, tears dropping down her flawless skin which lacked any blemish or scarring.

"Mhm, what about her?" Jeongguk asked, his attention fully on her as he looked up into her eyes.

"She's d-dying." She replied, sobs wracking through her tiny body.

Jeongguk froze momentarily, immediately cracking through it as he ran a tentative tongue over his lips in mild anxiety.

"Why?"

I knew nothing about Jeongguk's mother, as he'd never ever mentioned her. Only his father. I didn't even know the woman was alive, or prominent in his life.

"She got hit by a c-car, and her organs were ruptured." Jeong-ja stammered, moving one of her hands to wipe her tears before slotting it back into Jeongguk's hold.

Jeongguk sighed, though I noticed that he didn't particularly look upset, he seemed unbothered if anything. I suppose he seemed more upset at Jeong-ja's distress rather than his mother's condition.

"Is there nothing they can do?"

Jeong-ja shook her head, "they can only keep the wound on her heart closed for about two weeks. Her blood pressure is too high and there's a bleed on her brain."

Jeongguk nodded, "okay. I'll visit her. Where is she?"

"In D-daegu. The hospital where you went after you broke two ribs."

He nodded again, standing from his position.

"Taehyung, you stay with Jeong-ja." Jeongguk spoke as he tugged a sweatshirt over his t-shirt, the navy blue matching with black sweatpants and white trainers, "I'll go visit her."

After kissing me on the cheek goodbye, he slipped out of the door and murmured something that almost slipped past my hearing range.

"Not as if she'll want to see me."