Preserving Creata - Part 1 - Chapter 2 - Chronicles of Han Storm (Audio)

*** Two ***

    I was glad to be able to drive my battered Commoner again. There was nothing wrong with its systems and the vehicle was a exceptionally efficient. The visual effect made it safe from most criminals and gained me the appearance of a not too successful gambler. I preferred it that way as it made my life much easier.

Heading out of the campus gates, we all turned west, back to New Haven.

Stacey passed me by on her two-wheeler, shouting something at me I was unable to hear, receiving the distinct image of a tortoise instead.

Sometimes I picked up on people's thoughts spontaneously. I was sure I could do it consciously, if I concentrated.

Jack drove past in his yellow, roofless Rogue. Flashing a smile at me, his black face created the illusion of ivory white teeth.

Shaking my head at his thoughts of superiority, I smiled back. Some day he was going to find the Rogue's dropped suspension an inconvenience. At least he was on his way to his family.

An empty apartment awaited me.

Turning my thoughts away from loneliness, I focussed on my driving through the countryside which was an enjoyable experience for me.

With New Haven stuck in between the sea and the mountains, not much undisturbed countryside was left. Each year more people moved to the cities and overcrowding had become a serious challenge.

Everyone was looking for sustainable job opportunities. New Haven's natural, deep harbour and fishing industry, provided just that.

All too soon I reached the intersection and joined the EW1 (East-West) highway that came in from the Eastern Coastal Cities. The EW1 lay just below the Airport on the sea side.

The WE2 (allowing for traffic flow in the opposite direction from the EW1) was just above the Airport on the mountain side.

Hill Street ran South-North from the pier to the top of the mountain, crossing underneath the highways, but also serving as the main access-roads to them. The New Haven Airport's entrance effectively divided Hill into Upper and Lower Hill.

The same went for Mountain Drive that ran on the West side of the Airport. Mountain Drive wound through the slums into the foothills and eventually found its way to the inland side of the mountains.

These important main routes were the arteries that kept the heart of New Haven going.

Fisheries from around Creata had their canneries and fresh stock packing-plants here. Our cold coastal waters teemed with life and Creata was glad for its bounty. The Airport was the fastest way to get the fresh fish to markets around the globe.

Leaving the EW1 highway at the Snout off-ramp, took me straight past the business district into the residential area of Market Square.

Market Square used to be the original business sector, but as newer, more modern places were built, the old buildings were revamped for residential service.

I stopped two blocks from my building at Luke's Grocer. Luke's was the only decent place in the area for supplies.

The schools were out and I had to fight my way through the throngs of children, making sure my wallet was secure. You never knew with these little thieves in the vicinity.

I should know. I used to be one of them.

After a successful stocking-up on supplies and reaching my home at the Heights Building, I parked my vehicle in the allocated bay in the basement. The light at the stairwell was broken and, as usual, the elevator was out of order, forcing me to climb the basement stairs as well as the three flights to the top.