Surrender

I couldn't believe I said that. I meant to yes. "Why?" Finn asked. I didn't answer. "Rachel, what's wrong?" "You're leaving, Finn! In seven days! In seven whole days, you'll be gone!" I was crying hysterically at this point. "I know you have to go. And I know I said I understand why. But you know what? I don't! I get its your job. And I get you enlisted to change your dad's dishonorable discharge status, but Finn," he was looking down, "look at me. You have a family now." The waitress came over to give us our drinks and asked if I was okay. I said I was fine and she asked if we were ready to order. I told her to give us a moment and as she walked away I grabbed Finn's hand tightly. "Rachel, you're on broadway." 'Yeah, so, I thought.' "And I'm not. I don't have a real job. I spend most of my time at home changing diapers and feeding an infant. On busy days I do laundry and grocery shopping and one a month I come see your show. I'm nothing." "Finn! You're not nothing. You're everything." "Yeah, maybe to you. I'm your high school sweetheart, but to the rest of the world I'm nothing. I'm not the world renown Fanny from the 'Funny Girl Revival'." "Damn it, Finn that's not true. You're an amazing father. I don't know what I would do without you. So what, you're not on the cover of 'People' Magazine and you haven't been featured in 'The New York Times,' twice I might add, but without you, I couldn't be. You work your but off at home, so I can go to work." "Yeah but don't you get it, I'm the guy, you know? It's kinda- sorta my job to go to work while you stay at home." "Despite how sexist the comment was, I'm gonna let it go. Finn, you don't need to travel to another country to be something. I didn't." I didn't really know what to say. "We can't leave New York. So what an I supposed to do? It's not like we can afford for me not to have a job. Do you want me to become a plumber, or-or, oh I know. I can work as the crew for 'Funny Girl,' how does that sound? I just- I don't know what to do anymore. Do you want me to surrender?"