Day Eight - World Population 6.2 Hundred Thousand

Start from the beginning

"Ok, we are going to come right back to that in a couple of minutes.  But first you need to hear me out."

"Not if it means getting yourself killed."  Blake levelled me with his fiercest stare.  Before I would have probably pissed my pants at the fire burning in his eyes but after what we had shared, it just turned me on.

"I wasn't planning on just handing myself over.  I was hoping to have a couple of weeks to come up with a plan but after seeing that news story, we need to come up with something quickly before the human race becomes extinct!" I had their attention, I took a deep breath and continued telling them what I wanted to do.

"Blake is walking proof that my blood is some sort of cure."

"You don't know that" Jay said "Not for sure"

"I do.  When Blake threw up after biting me-"  Blake flinched at the memory and guilt washed over me for bringing it up but it was necessary for my argument. "I saw my blood bind with the toxin and neutralise it.  It was green and acidic.  Bubbling and spitting.  But my blood enveloped it and turned it into this thick brown glupe.  It's my moral obligation to do something about it.  I can't just sit here knowing that I could potentially save the human race and do nothing.  It's just not who I am."  My parents may be happy shirking their responsibilities but I was not.  I will never be like them. 

"Well, we wouldn't be doing nothing-" Connor waggled his eyebrows suggestively at me .

"Shut up, Chuck!" all three of us shouted at him in unison as he dodged a cushion turned torpedo that I may have thrown at his head.  His innuendos were not helpful right now.

"So what, you're just going to offer yourself up as some sacrificial lamb.  Do you have any idea of what they will do to you!"  Blake came to kneel at my feet, grasping my hands in his big strong ones.  His multi-colored eyes searching mine for a weak link in my steely resolve. "There has to be another way!"  He implored, looking defeated at my unwavering stance.

I pulled out of Jays arms and leaned forward, taking Blake's handsome face in my hands.  Stroking his cheeks and lips with my thumbs.

"They don't need me-" I whispered "They need my blood."  Closing the distance I pressed my lips against his.  Kissing him softly for a moment before pulling back.

"We need to figure out how to get a sample of my blood to them"

"But they won't stop at a sample, Agnes.  They'll hunt you down just to tear you apart and I can't lose you, I won't!"  Blake's hands gripped mine tightly as he bared his fears to me.  Making himself vulnerable.  This was something that was so hard for Blake to do which is how I knew that he was deadly serious.  My heart swelled with love for the man on his knees in front of me.

"Then we leave-"  Jay spoke with certainty "We deliver her blood and then get the hell out of dodge!"

It didn't sound like a bad plan but the words of the news anchor played over and over in my head on a loop.  The streets are dangerous.  They're riddled with the infected and I couldn't risk their lives like that.  But I couldn't not do anything.  My head was a mess.

"It's too dangerous to be out in the open, I won't risk you guys."

"And we won't risk you-"  I let out a frustrated sigh, I understood their concerns.  I would have the exact same reaction as them if the role had been reversed.  There was no way in hell I would let one them try this and I had to take that into consideration.  I'm a total hypocrite but they didn't need to know that.  I needed to buy myself some time to think.  To let them think.  Because as it stands we weren't getting anywhere fast.