Chapter 1: The Lost Girl

“Good night Mistress!”  Kaneko’s friends from her class said as she walked off.  “click, click, click” the sound came from her shoes underneath her feet. She got goose bumps as the chilled air caressed her skin.  She pulled her coat tighter, trying to warm herself.   The dark night was wide as the sky was almost  cloudless, the moon showing eerily as it shown just enough light for a slight fill of the objects she passed on her walk home.  She touched the handle of her front door with her bare hand, the cold of the metal that had been exposed to the surrounding atmosphere sending a chill up her body.  She opened the screen door, it creeked as she went for the second door and opened it.  Her mind was filled with thoughts as she walked into the dreary empty house, not looking up as she knew the surrounding all but to well.  She took her shoes off and her coat, putting it into the closet to her side.  She turned around and saw her home the same as always, though something felt like it was missing.  She walked through the house, wondering what it was.  She walked around, looking in the one room in the middle of the hallway other than the bathroom acrossed the hall.  She had always felt somewhat lonely in her little house but never like this.  Suddenly she felt something on her cheek, she reached up and touched her cheek, looking at her finger and seeing a tear glisten on her finger, realizing she was crying.  She looked very confused.  She shrugged it off and went to take a shower.  She took a long warm shower, though it usually helped her feelings of loneliness it didn’t help this time.  She walked into her bedroom as she dried her hair and curled up under the covers, it felt colder than she remembered though it had only been one day since she slept in them.  She ignored it and fell asleep, dreaming of a young dog boy, playing in a nearby park.  He was happy as his white hair flowed in the breaze, his tail flicking back and forth as Kaneko and him played together.  He seemed happy, as if there wasn’t a care in the world, suddenly he spoke four words “I love you mommy” and Kaneko jumped out of her bed.  She was drenched with sweat as she sat there in shock.  Tears began running down her face as she slowly began curling up into herself as she sat on the bed, slowly crying harder and harder as her brain realized it was all a dream "hey what's amatter?" Tamashi kinda voice touched Kanekos ears as he sat up in bed "you okay?" He asked before she leaned into him, Tamashi hugging her.  This wasn't the first time this had happened.  Kaneko had had these awful dreams since Inu had been taken away, Mikuri leaving with Nina to be with him.  "Come on let's get you something to drink" Tamashi said picking her up and carrying her to the bathroom "go run yourself a bath and Relax and I'll go get you some warm milk" he said as he started the water.  He kissed her cheek before walking off, Uta came walking up to the door of the bathroom as Kaneko was stepping in. She sat down and noticed Uta sitting at the door with a glass of milk ontop of his head.
Kaneko smiled a little at the cute sight and clapped her hands "here Uta" she said and he slowly walked over to her. Kaneko took the glass and patted Utas head, taking a sip and smiling at the vanilla flavoring Tamashi put in
"Feeling any better?"  Tamashi smirked sadly as he leaned against the door frame.
Kaneko smiled shyly and nodded "yeah" she said with a smirk.
"Good" he said walking to a candle and lighting it before walking over to her and kissing her head before signaling Uta to follow him as he went out the door "let me know if you need anything" he said genuinely as he shut the door.
His kind gesture was so sweet, so caring it blew her away as thankfulness washed over her. Without him, it would be impossible to make it through even one day with Inu gone. It felt like a huge, gaping hole had been torn right in her heart, and Tamashi fit right in the gap, though a small space still seemed missing. Her heart seemed to beat again for once thinking of how much he had done for her since Inu left.  As she got into the tub, her mind drifted from thought to thought.  She sniffled once, then a single tear rolled down her cheek, soon followed by more. She gave up on wiping them away and let them run freely down her cheeks, silently sobbing as she leaned her head against the wall, her eyes squeezed tightly shut. If only she could hold Inu in her arms, and hug him, everything would be better. Her heart ached as she thought of him, unable to stop thinking about him.  Her salty tears slid down her cheek, dripping into the warm water, mixing with it until there was no distinction between the two sets of water.  Her heart breaking as she layed there limp, shaking in the warm water as it cooled, not able to move or make a sound, all she could do was sit there, letting the tears stream down her face as she felt herself dying, dying without him, without her little treasure, with out her Inu.