Chapter 21: Where You Are

"Mommy?" A sweet familiar voice echoed in Kaneko's ears.

"Inu?" Kaneko said as her eyes fluttered open.  She sat up, rubbing her eyes as she looked around, looking as if they were in a sea of clouds, as the sun was close to setting.  The sight was beautiful, as if from a dream. She looked over to where the voice had come from and saw Inu sitting next to her.

"Hi mommy." He smiled and she quickly picked him up, hugging him as tight as she could without the fear of hurting him. She sat down and set him in front of her, like the first time they ever were together.

She smiled as she put her hand to his cheek, running her thumb along his soft skin.  She looked up from his soft blue eyes confused "Inu, where are we?" she said looking around.

"We're in the spirit world," he said smiling, his eyes fixed on his mother's face. "M-mommy?" he said as Kaneko turned to look back at him, her smile quickly fading when she saw a look of worry and sadness on his face.  

"Inu, what's the matter?" she said looking at him, worried, caressing his face adoringly.  He got up and hugged her. "Inu, is everything okay?" she said anxious as she hugging him back.

Inu looked back at the sun going down, darkness fading over the clouds.  "I'm sorry" Inu said shakily, stepping back and setting his head to hers, sniffling. Kaneko noticing tears dripping to the soft ground underneath them.

"Inu, what's the matter?" she said, beginning to become very nervous.  "Inu, stop! Inu what are you doing!?" Kaneko's heart beginning to race as Inu set his hands on the side of her head, Kaneko putting hers on them.

"I love you, mommy" Inu said as the sun went down behind her, Kaneko's voice lost to the void as she screamed his name, trying to stop this.  But before she could, quickly, darkness fell over everything as her vision faded to black.