Chapter 17: The First Snow

Kaneko awoke with a start, someone shaking her, though the person wasn't very strong. Her eyes opened. "Mommy! Mommy!" she heard Inu's voice saying, quite frantic.

Kaneko sat up and rubbed her eyes. "What's the matter sweetheart?" she said with a yawn.

"The clouds...th-they're dying," Inu said, as crystal tears slid down his soft cheeks.

"Aw honey, what's the matter? What do you mean?" she said with a kind smirk as her thumb glided acrossed the tears as more replaced them.

"The clouds are falling from the sky," he said between sobs as he pointed out the frosty window.

"Oh, sweetheart, that's snow," she said, turning him around and setting him on her lap, hugging him from behind.

"S-snow?" he said looking up at her, still teary eyed.

"Mhm, it's like rain when its cold outside" she smiled, kissing his head before turning him around again and wiping his tears. "Here, let me get that," she said taking a Kleenex and wiping away his sweet tears. "Okay, now blow." She put the Kleenex up to his nose as he blew into it. "There, better?" she said as she wiped the rest from his cute little red nose. He nodded, sniffling. "Aw Inu," she smiled with a little chuckle. "What am I ever gonna do with that big heart of yours?" She laughed, giving him and eskimo kiss. "Don't ever change that, okay?" She smiled at him.

"Okay, mommy." He smiled. The two of them heard a knock on the front door and Kaneko got her robe and slippers on to go check to see who it was. She opened the door and Tamashi was standing there with Uta by his side, as usual.

"Hey! I saw it was snowing and thought I might stop by and see what you guys were doing." He smiled, standing in a big coat and hat with snow pants on, shivering. Kaneko snickered at the sight of him. "C-can I come in?" he said, shivering.

"Ha ha, okay." She laughed and stepped aside. They walked in and both shook off their snow from his coat. "ACK," Kaneko said, now full of snow.

Kaneko changed into a warm sweater and sweat pants, and put a beanie on her head. She made tea as Tamashi sat at the table, Inu coming out and starting to play with Uta. Mikuri ran to the entrance of the kitchen. "HEY DID YOU GUYS SE- WAH!" she said as she slid across the wet floor and fell on her butt, running into the wall. "Ow," she said as Uta and Inu ran up to her to make sure she was okay.

"Who was that?" Tamashi said, quit confused. Mikuri walked into the room, rubbing her head.

"Tamashi, this is Mikuri, my daughter." Mikuri waved, cracking a smile as she rubbed her head

"Hey," she said plainly as she walked over and made herself a glass of warm milk.

"Ha ha, hey there," he said, laughing at Kaneko's "new hobby" of taking in kids.

"Good morning, sweetie." Kaneko smiled and kissed Mikuris cheek.

"Good morning." She smiled as she sat down to drink her milk. "So, anyways, did you guys see the snow?" Mikuri said excitedly. "At this rate, it'll make a ton of snow on the ground." She smiled.

"Yeah, there's a ton of it. I'm happy Uta and I made it before it really started to accumulate." Tamashi smiled as he stood to get a glass of tea so Kaneko wouldn't have to bring it to him.

"So, you're Kanekos beau, huh?" Mikuri smiled at him as she leaned towards him in suspicion.

"Ha ha, yep," he said proudly, making Kaneko smile.

"Wow, its just like Inu and I!" she said happily.

"Wait, but aren't you brother and sister?!" Tamashi said surprised and confused.

"Nuh-uh!" Mikuri said a little offended. "Just because we have the same mother doesn't mean we're brother and sister!" Mikuri defended

Tamashi hung his head in shame and confusion. "I don't get it."

Mikuri stood up. "OF COURSE YOU DON'T! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND LOVE."

Later that day they decided to go outside and play in the snow. Inu waddled out of the bedroom barely able to move his limbs "There!" Kaneko said, proud of her work. Inu muffled something, not an inch of his body not covered.

"Um... Kaneko?" Tamashi said, about to protest but Kaneko put a lip up to his mouth, shushing him as she marveled at her work.

"It's perfect." Tamashi backed up, deciding against saying anything. They walked/waddled out the door. They played in the snow until Inu fell in his face and couldn't get up. They went in and watched a movie together when suddenly towards the end the power went out. Tamashi tried calling someone but no one could get there until later cause the roads were so snowed over.

Later in the night they started a fire, Tamashi and Uta having to stay because their car was stuck in the snow. Tamashi read everyone a story as Inu laidd by Uta, warming him and Mikuri laying close to the fire, accidently catching her tail in it once but laying facing the fire now, learning her lesson. After everyone was asleep, Kaneko and Tamashi put blankets around themselves, warming each other. "You have some amazing kids, Kaneko." He smiled.

"M'm," she said shaking her head.

"What do you mean?" Tamashi said confused.
"We have some amazing kids." She smiled at him lovingly.

Tamashi smiled and chuckled. "Yeah, we," he said before leaning in and lightly kissing her.

"EW!" Mikuri and Inu said in unison

"WHAT!? I THOUGHT YOU TWO WERE ASLEEP!" he said standing up.

"GAH! GET DOWN HERE! IT'S COLD!" Kaneko said, Tamashi apologizing and returning to his position, everyone laughing, enjoying the time they all get to spend together, as a family.